Men's hockey sweeps the Crimson

11.29.10.sports.mhockey
11.29.10.sports.mhockey

Dartmouth (6-3-1, 3-0 Ivy) set the tone for the weekend early in Friday's match-up as forward Doug Jones '12 capitalized on work from forwards Eric Robinson '14 and Matthew Lindblad '14.

The Big Green continued to pour on the offensive pressure as captain Scott Fleming '11 tallied another goal just over ten seconds later to give Dartmouth a two goal advantage less than four minutes into the game.

The Crimson would not go down without a fight and capitalized on a Dartmouth penalty kill later in the period to bring the score to 2-1 at the end of the first period.

Robinson secured three points in his first official collegiate game, having recently recovered from a shoulder injury. His first goal of the season came early in the second period to give Dartmouth a 3-1 lead. Robinson said he credits his successful return to his teammates and linemates.

"It was a really nervous build up for me, but it's really easy to come back when your team puts up eight goals," Robinson said. "It was also really easy to get back up in the line-up when you are skating along side guys like Walsh and Jones, who are really great hockey right now."

Harvard brought the game back into reach, taking advantage of another Dartmouth penalty, cutting the Big Green's lead to 3-2.

In the contest, defensive anchor goaltender James Mello '12 recorded 25 saves on 27 attempts.

Mello has come up big for Dartmouth on several occasions, and is currently ranked as the best goaltender in NCAA Division I hockey, leading the nation in save percentage (.968) and goals against average (0.99).

Less than five minutes later, forward Nick Walsh '12 regained the two-goal advantage on a pass from Robinson and defender Jim Gaudet '12.

Walsh would not quit, scoring again less than two minutes into the third period to bring the score to 5-2 in favor of the Big Green.

The Big Green took advantage of a Harvard penalty and Lindblad notched his fourth goal of the season to bring the score to 6-2 with less than half a period to play.

Forward Dustin Walsh '13 notched a goal with less than five minutes remaining in the game.

Older brother Nick Walsh would score his third goal of the night soon after, securing his first career hat trick and an 8-2 victory in favor of the Big Green.

He attributed his success to practice the week before and being in the right place at the right time.

"The last week in practice, our team was focusing on driving to and stopping at the net," Nick Walsh said. "Having that in mind, as well as being in the right place at the right time, helped me to capitalize."

Robinson said the team has been so successful because of a newfound sense of teamwork, as well as great offensive and defensive play.

"I think we are really buying into playing as a team, and doing the little things," Robinson said. "Coach [Bob Gaudet] also uses the machine metaphor in that we should emulate a machine, working together, stay focused and be all business'. I think we really tapped into that two weekends ago, and we've continued to show the offensive and defensive skill that we have."

The Big Green picked up in Hanover where they left off in Cambridge, with the offense operating on all cylinders and the defense showing an equally impressive performance.

In a six-minute span in the opening period of play, forward and assistant captain Adam Estoclet '11, Lindblad, Nick Walsh and Fleming all notched goals to give the Big Green a 4-0 advantage early, a lead from which the Crimson would not recover.

The Crimson was able to capitalize on another Dartmouth penalty, the third penalty kill goal allowed by the Big Green on the weekend, bringing the score to 4-1.

It appeared that the Crimson would score again as Dartmouth received two penalties and played 3-on5 for 52 seconds. Mello turned away shot after shot and the Dartmouth defense not only successfully evaded the attacking Crimson, but assistant captain Evan Stephens '11 regained the four-goal advantage after putting in a shot from the point.

The Crimson would strike again only minutes before the end of the third period and Dartmouth held on to win 5-2, completing its first sweep of Harvard in 15 years.

Dartmouth swept Harvard in the 1995-96 season and the 1980-81 season in which coach Gaudet was the Big Green's goaltender. Nick Walsh said that sweeping Harvard showed how strong the team is and what it can accomplish.

"Beating Harvard is a huge momentum booster for us, especially because it's an ECAC and Ivy win," Nick Walsh said. "We also have a very strong team this year. I think we are really starting to buy into our systems and play like we know we can. I think everyone is really encouraged and excited when we realize what our team is capable of."

The Big Green will next face the University of Vermont on Dec. 12 at 4 p.m. at Thompson Arena in a game that will be broadcast on ESPNU.

This weekend, the team also began its annual toy drive to benefit patients at the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD). Fans are encouraged to bring unwrapped toys that will be donated to these children.