Matt and Kim risk mainstream with ‘Sidewalks'

Their third album, however "Sidewalks," released Tuesday may hit a sour note with long-term fans.

"Cameras," the first single off the album, definitely makes an impression with its highly contagious melody and Southern hip-hop beats reminiscent of a too-loud Atlanta block party. But the track lacks Matt and Kim's signature do-it-yourself feel, thanks to a new layer of instrumentals and processing. Although they stay true to their optimistic, innocent message with lyrics like "No time for cameras/we'll use our eyes instead," Matt Johnson's auto-tuned voice at times strips the duo of its traditional live appeal.

Thus the feel-good infatuation with "Cameras" quickly fades. By the fifth and sixth tracks, "Red Paint" and "Good For Great," listeners are surprised with completely artificial-sounding synthesized openings and random bells in the background. Their almost uncanny resemblance to an Owl City number is cringe-inducing, not a reflex triggered by Matt and Kim's previous albums.

All-out confusion ensues with the track "Northeast," which completely abandons the duo's perpetual jubilance in lieu of a somber ballad that clashes awkwardly with Johnson's typically energetic vocals.

In fact, this newest album as a whole incorporates more vocal effects and synth than before, washing out Matt and Kim's distinctive exuberance with a generic Top 40 feel. Although the new tracks sound more polished than those in past albums, which have been criticized as being gritty and unfinished, they lose much of the authenticity the duo has been known for. Perhaps this new direction could be attributed to the growing fan base the last album attracted with its commercialization.

Thankfully, not all has gone amiss here. "Ice Melts" and "Block After Block" pay homage to the band's unique sound, with endearingly spontaneous lyrics like "Hey friend, we'll jump the turnstiles/And cut it down while the lights are out." Led by the unabashed exposure of Kim Schifino's percussion, which has driven the soulful numbers in their previous albums, these two tracks are the highlights of the "Sidewalks."

Although fun and at times infectiously catchy, Matt and Kim's third album reveals that the duo may have sold out their signature raw sound to appeal to a new pop audience.