Kuster rallies in Rockefeller Center

11.02.10.news.rally
11.02.10.news.rally

The event also featured a small concert by the Super Secret Project, the band that created the YouTube music video sensations "Granite State of Mind" and "Middle Class in the USA."'

Kuster described the race as "razor-thin," explaining that a few hundred votes could possibly make the difference between a Democratic and a Republican victory.

She said she believes Dartmouth will make the difference in Tuesday's election.

While Kuster acknowledged that Republicans are making gains in congressional races across the country, she emphasized that she and her supporters "are bucking a really big trend," in keeping her race against former Rep. Charlie Bass '74, R-N.H. close.

In her speech, Kuster discussed her platform, emphasizing student-centric issues like her aim to help students finance college and avoid long-term debt.

Kuster also accused her opponent of not placing enough value on education.

"I would be a strong supporter of anything we can do to help students go to college," she said.

Kuster discussed her pro-choice stance, her desire to narrow the scope of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan and her emphasis on limited government.

"What I believe is less government interference in our personal lives," she said.

Kuster criticized Bass, who she said supported the invasion of Iraq and the escalation of efforts in Afghanistan.

This was Kuster's fourth visit to the College to discuss the election this term. Members of the College Democrats who attended the rally emphasized the importance of student participation to Kuster's campaign.

"It's important for her to get visibility so students support her on election day," Marissa Wizig '14, freshman communications director for the College Democrats, said, emphasizing that Kuster is an alumna. The main purpose of the rally was to encourage students to come to the polls, according to Dan Leder '14, a member of the College Democrats.

Under New Hampshire state law, students can vote in state elections as legal residents of New Hampshire.

"We're trying to mobilize people who are uninformed," Leder said. "It's really important that people vote because Democrats in New Hampshire have pinned the campaign on Dartmouth." While College Democrats member Sam Lewis '13 blamed the "Dartmouth bubble" for often insulating students from issues in the outside world such as elections, he said he thinks Dartmouth students are beginning to get more involved in politics.

The outcome of N.H. congressional elections are particularly significant because they will be an important indicator of election results in other states, according to College Democrats member Ben Chuchla '13.

"New Hampshire is a great reflection of how the electorate is feeling about the country," he said.

While midterm elections rarely draw as much enthusiasm as presidential elections, the Lewis said the 2010 midterm election is as important as the 2008 presidential election, in which 89 percent of Dartmouth students voted.

"Obama needs Congress behind him," Lewis said.

Polling will take place today at Hanover High School. The College Democrats will provide transportation to the polling station from Collis Center, according to Chuchla.