Daily Debriefing

University boards awarded 30 leaders of private colleges over $1 million each upon their retirement or to correct for "underpayment," according to a review by The Chronicle of Higher Education. Executive payoffs are expected to rise as colleges are treated more like corporations and presidents are offered bonuses for performances, The Chronicle reported. The compensation may reflect the relatively high demand for College presidents, since the supply of potential presidents has decreased with the retirement of the baby boomers. Presidents of both wealthy and smaller institutions topped the list of high-earners, including the presidents of Yale University, Vanderbilt University, Columbia University, Quinnipiac University and Clark Atlantic University, The Chonicle reported.

A cheating scandal overtook the University of Central Florida last week when 200 students admitted to dishonest conduct in a senior-level business course, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Because one third of the class cheated on the midterm, the professor arranged to suspend normal disciplinary action for students who admitted to culpability in time to take a re-test and an ethics seminar. The test was leaked because the professor used questions created by a textbook company, which may have been available somewhere online, according to the Sentinel. The scandal has received national coverage, including a segment on Good Morning America, the Sentinel reported.