Daily Debriefing

Eighty Wake Forest University students attending an off-campus Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity party were issued citations for underage drinking by Winston-Salem police early Sunday morning, according to the Winston-Salem Journal. Police arrived at the party to investigate a claim of assault after a partygoer threw a beer on another attendee. Upon arrival, police estimated that 200 to 300 people were inside the house and called the fire department. The fire detectors were covered with plastic cups and duct tape, and the fire department issued several citations for fire code violations to the fraternity. The Wake Forest administration said that the students and fraternity members will be meeting with the dean of student services for disciplinary action, the Journal reported. The university recently changed its alcohol policy to encourage responsible drinking.

Dartmouth Medical School professor Ethan Dmitrovsky has been appointed chair of the National Cancer Institute Board of Scientific Counselors for Clinical Sciences and Epidemiology, according to a DMS release. Dmitrovsky will oversee 22 physicians and scientists from around the country as they advise the NCI on future cancer research, with a focus on implementing research findings in patient treatment. "The Board helps NCI leadership make the best use of precious research funds," Dmitrovsky said in the release. Dmitrovsky, a graduate of Harvard College and Cornell University Medical College, previously served as the chair of the pharmacology and toxicology department and as an acting dean of DMS.

A federal appeals court decided Friday that a New Hampshire law, which mandates that schools plan daily time for students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, is constitutional, the Concord Monitor reported. The law does not require that students participate in the recitation. A Hanover couple, with the assistance of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, sued local school districts and the federal government in 2007, claiming that the law forced religion on their three children, who were atheist or agnostic. The judges on the U.S. Court of Appeals said that although the pledge invokes God's name, the overall goal of the law is to increase patriotism.