The DM Manual of Style

Hello all you fashion enthusiasts. For the '14s, welcome and for those of you running-it-back, here we go again. As fall begins to settle in, we are keeping our fingers crossed that the Hanover heatwave is a thing of the past and what better way to welcome in a new season than with a brand new fresh-faced presence on Dartmouth's campus. Seanie Civale '14 found her way to Hanover from the sunny beaches of Southern California LA to be precise. Seanie said she looks forward to the drastic difference in weather she will inevitably experience soon.

"I've never been able to dress for cold weather before," she said laughing. "I'm excited to experience four seasons."

Hopefully the unpredictable weather doesn't let her down because in a few short weeks Seanie has already impressed us with her use of color and patterns coupled with a unique creative twist on classic pieces.

Forced to wear a school uniform throughout her entire adolescence, she found ways to spice up her daily wardrobe.

"It really taught me the importance of accessories," she said noting the popular use of tights and headbands by her equally fashionably constricted classmates at her all girls' school. She looked forward to the weekends where she would have as much fun as she could with what she wore.

Seanie said her main style influences are the women of her family.

"I grew up in a family where being put together was always emphasized," she said. "I was not allowed to wear sweats on a plane."

While her mother, aunt and grandmother all worked in the fashion industry, Seanie admits that she doesn't know all that much about the fashion world.

"For me, fashion has always just been something I loved because it made me happy," she said.

Ironically, coming to Dartmouth she is most intrigued by the casual atmosphere. She sees Dartmouth's casual culture as a breath of fresh air from a world in which "everyone get dressed up to go anywhere, even just to go to lunch."

"It's nice to see that there's a way to be fashionable even if you're not wearing heels and a dress," Seanie said.

Seanie notes that her favorite articles of clothing include an expansive sweater collection, black lace-up boots and "way too many dresses." She spends her time shopping at trendy $3.99 stores as well as flea markets like the one where she found the floral print dress pictured. She first saw this lovely dress in another store and immediately fell in love with it, however, she recognized after her mother refused to hand over her pocketbook that the dress was far too expensive. She then continued to obsess over the dress until months later when she stumbled upon it buried deep within piles of clothes. It was fate.

Keep an eye out for Seanie and her breathtaking style all around campus. With her infectious smile and fabulous wardrobe she's hard to miss. As for the rest of you, we'll be on the lookout. You never know, you could be next. If you see fashionable people on campus that you think deserve to be applauded, blitz DMStyle. We would love your help keeping Dartmouth fashionable.