Peedin appointed chief investment officer

Pamela L. Peedin '89 Tu '98 has been selected to serve as the College's chief investment officer, College President Jim Yong Kim announced in a press release Monday.

Peedin's appointment to the position follows a long vacancy, during which former Trustee Peter Fahey '68 served as acting CIO. Fahey stepped into the position after the departure of former chief investment officer David Russ, who left to lead Credit Suisse's investment strategies and solutions group.

In the release, Kim called Peedin an "accomplished and highly regarded investment professional," citing a "track record of success" in her prior investment work.

Peedin previously served as the CIO of Boston University, managing around $1 billion in investments that enjoyed a 12.7-percent return during fiscal year 2010, according to the press release. She came to Boston University from Cambridge Associates, an investment consulting group that mainly managesinvestments for universities and nonprofit organizations.

As Dartmouth's CIO, Peedin will assume management of an endowment that posted a 6-percent increase in value over the last fiscal year, following a restructuring away from illiquid assets and into more conservative investments less vulnerableto the market fluctuations that plagued the endowment during fiscal year 2009. Her management of the College's investments also comes in the midst of continuing College efforts to draw down its disbursements from the endowment for operating expenses.

In addition to management of the College's investments, the CIO also acts as an intermediary between the financial administration and alumni, former executive vice president of finance and administration Adam Keller previously told The Dartmouth.

Peedin will assume the CIO position February 1 of next year.