Daily Debriefing

The Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education has awarded the Policy Research Shop at the Nelson A. Rockefeller Center for Public Policy a three-year, $750,000 grant to introduce a new methods class and create a plan to develop the Policy Research Shop model on a national level, according to a College press release. The Policy Research Shop, a program created six years ago in which students conduct non-partisan research on political issues affecting Vermont and New Hampshire, has seen students create over 50 policy reports since its founding. The Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education comes from the U.S. Department of Education. The new class will focus on local governance, according to the press release.

Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity at Yale University issued an apology to the Yale Women's Center Thursday for having pledges shout inappropriate phrases during an initiation ceremony on Yale's campus Wednesday, the Yale Daily News reported. The pledges repeatedly chanted phrases such as "No means yes, yes means anal" and "My name is Jack, I'm a necrophiliac, I f*ck dead women," which the Women's Center called "hate speech" and "an active call for sexual violence," according to the Daily News. Members of DKE and board members from the Women's Center scheduled a forum for Friday, which several Yale deans plan to attend, according to the Daily News. Each group said its members hope to improve their relationship with the other organization. Representatives of the Women's Center drew a connection to an incident that occurred in January 2008, when 12 of Yale's Zeta Psi fraternity pledges stood outside the Women's Center with signs that said "We Love Yale Sluts," the Daily News reported.

Princeton University announced Friday that its endowment now stands at $14.4 billion, following a 14.7 percent return last year, The New York Times reported. The announcement comes as most higher education institutions with large endowments have announced returns of under 12 percent. In 2009, Princeton had the fourth largest endowment in the country, according to The Times. Only Columbia University's endowment has fared better than Princeton's, with a return of 17 percent. Dartmouth's endowment showed a 10 percent return over the last year and now stands at just under $3 billion, The Dartmouth previously reported.