Daily Debriefing

The college completion rate for men has stagnated, while the completion rate for women continues to rise, according to a report by the American Council on Education, The Washington Post reported Tuesday. Because men are more likely than women to opt out of college in favor of manual labor or military service, women now outnumber men three to two at universities across the nation, The Post reported. Men of all races, except for Asian-Americans, have experienced equal stagnation in college completion rates. Hispanics have experienced the largest increase in college enrollment rates. Women of all races, however, are completing college degrees at increasing rates, The Post reported.

Harvard University has shifted more of its holdings into cash and Treasury bonds, increasing them to about $1 billion in fiscal year 2010 triple the amount it held in the last fiscal year, The Boston Globe reported Wednesday. Harvard, the nation's wealthiest higher education institution, has placed its money in safer investments to avoid future losses like those it incurred in the recent financial crisis. The University has also cut its operating budget down to $3.7 billion a decrease of 1 percent, or $32.5 million. For the 2010 fiscal year, however, Harvard had a net operating deficit of $4.7 million, The Globe reported. Due to financial concerns, the University has indefinitely delayed projects to expand a science complex on its Allston campus. The development will resume when funds allow, at an unspecified future date, The Globe reported.

Democrats have raised over 20 times more money from college students than Republicans this election cycle, according to a report by the Center for Responsive Politics. The Democratic National Committee raised $428,000, compared to the Republicans' $18,400. Many of the largest contributions counted were from students related to other major political contributors, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The report was compiled using Federal Election Commission filings for which donors classified themselves as students, The Chronicle wrote.