Coed sailing ranked 11th nationally

10.15.10.sports.sailing
10.15.10.sports.sailing

"It's exciting, our highest ranking in a long time," Williams said. "It's the first year in a while that we have a very legitimate shot at competing at a high level at nationals. We have been sailing very well at competitive events so far."

Rankings are determined by an open coaches' poll, based on results through Oct. 10 of this season.

The Dartmouth sailing team took fifth, sixth and third place this past weekend at the Barnett Trophy, Moody Trophy and the Intercollegiate Offshore Regattas, respectively.

John Renehan '13 and Jenna Musco '11 finished 16th in the A-division at the Moody Trophy Regatta at the University of Rhode Island, while Matthew Wefer '14 and Ali Hiller '11 finished second in the B-division. While conditions were overall favorable for the weekend, one tide on Sunday resulted in several recalls for competitors.

Dartmouth also had a strong showing at the Barnett Trophy Regatta hosted by Bowdoin College, finishing ninth in the A-division with Chandler Salisbury '13 and Madilyn Gamble '13. Kelsey Wheeler '14 and Margaret Wilson '13 finished third in the B-division.

At the Intercollegiate Offshore Regatta, the Big Green finished third, represented by Tim Scanlon '12, steering, with a crew of eight Bernie Roesler '12, Taylor McDonald '12, Michelle Hernandez '12, Avery Plough '14, Raquel Merchant '12, Chris Price '14, Sabrina Amaro '13 and captain Peter Hughes '11.

The Big Green raced in a King 40 boat this weekend, a new style for the team, according to Hughes. The boat was donated by an alumnus of the team.

Hughes said he was pleased with the team's third place finish, especially considering that the team has less experience with the larger keelboats required at the Regatta.

"This regatta was very different than most regattas we've sailed at," Hughes said. "It's a unique collegiate event in that you're sailing on larger keelboats versus small dinghies. It gives you a different style of racing than you're used to and there are a lot more tasks to perform."

Dartmouth sailing will compete at the Captain Hurst Intersectional in Hanover this weekend. This is the only home intersectional for the coed team this fall.

Hughes will race with Matthew Habig '13 in the A-division, while Ed Jude Glackin '11 and Carissa Crawford '14 will race in the B-division.

The team will have to take into account very windy weather on Saturday, according to Hughes. The Big Green placed second in the Intersectional last year.

"We do have a very good shot at doing well in this event," he said. "Through our hard practice this year, I think that we'll be even more competitive at the event this year."

Weather conditions will impact the team's racing style and how it feels competing on its home turf, according to Williams.

"It's going to be very physical racing and a long day and it will put our fitness training to the test," he said of this coming weekend. "The very windy conditions are unusual. It's going to somewhat eliminate our home-field advantage and will even the playing field. It will be fun racing to watch."

This weekend the Big Green will also be competing at the Yale Women's Intersectional in New Haven, Conn.