Gifted students experience college

High school students uncovered footprints, identified blood evidence and dusted for fingerprints in a mock crime scene on Wednesday for the class "Crime Scene Investigation" a part of the Summer Institute for the Gifted Program at Dartmouth. This type of out-of-classroom experience was not unique to the program's curriculum, which provided a variety of learning opportunities for elite students from the United States and abroad, Pati Coughlin, the academic dean for the program, said.

The program which is currently in its first year at the College although it has existed at campuses nationwide for 24 years aims to provide an enriching summer experience for students who excel in their regular academic classes, according to Doug Whitney, an instructor in the program who taught the forensic science class.

"The classes vary as much from digital photography to chemistry to thinking outside of the box,'" Whitney said. "Some students right now might be in existentialism [class]."

Students learned about forensic science and evidence-taking in a classroom environment, before culminating their experience at a "crime scene" set up at Memorial Field and conducted by Hanover Police.

"During the classroom part, we talked a lot about the process behind collecting evidence," Hanover Police Detective Eric Bates, who assisted in teaching the class, said. "This is really just a reinforcer, a fun thing for the kids."

Students collected evidence from a mock attempted burglary, in which the Memorial Field concession stand was supposedly broken into by a suspect who was later apprehended, he said. The suspect, however, exercised his right to remain silent.

"If they collect the evidence properly, we probably convict the guy," Bates said. "If they don't, he probably goes free, which is a reality."

There are 54 students enrolled in the program, some from as far away as China and Korea, according to Whitney. Many come from families with an academic background, Whitney said.

"Most of the kids are from families that consider education to be very important," Whitney said. "Probably at least half of them have a parent that's either a [medical] doctor or a Ph.D."

The program aims to push students beyond a traditional summer experience, according to Coughlin.

"The big thing is about challenge for gifted kids," she said. "Summer vacation is just too long for them."

In order to apply for the program, students must place in at least the 95th percentile of state standardized test scores or be specially recommended by their teachers, Whitney said.

"It's about being challenged academically, but it's also about peaking these kids' interest a bit," Connor Ring, a counselor for the program, said. "I think it's an absolutely awesome program."

Students are also exposed to non-academic experiences during their time in the program, Coughlin said. Excursions included field trips to the Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury, Vt., and a trip to a nearby amusement park, she said.

Classes every morning begin at 8:45 a.m. and the school day ends at 4:45 p.m., Coughlin said.

"I take five classes every day," a student who participated in the program said. "It's quite academic."

The rigor of the program, along with its location at the Dartmouth campus, was a factor that encouraged some students interviewed by The Dartmouth to apply.

"Well, I've wanted to go to Dartmouth since fifth grade, so it's basically been a College tour for three weeks," a student said.

One student said that the College's reputation as an elite school sparked his interest in the program.

"I thought it was a really cool school just to begin with I mean, it's in the Ivy League, which is pretty cool," he said.

The program will likely be held at Dartmouth again, Coughlin said.