Three arrested on felony charges

Three students were arrested on Wednesday for felony charges related to a May 13 incident allegedly involving cocaine use and subsequent witness tampering, according to a Hanover Police Department press release. All three students have been released on bail, but will face court dates in June.

Brian Shea '10 and Andrew Lohse '12 were arrested for cocaine possession, and Lohse and Clark Warthen '10 were arrested for witness tampering.

The report did not detail what the witness tampering charge entailed, but according to New Hampshire law, a person may be charged with witness tampering if he or she attempts to cause a person to testify or inform falsely, or "commits any unlawful act in retaliation for anything done by another in his capacity as witness or informant."

"The investigation into this matter continues," the release stated. "It is anticipated that further arrests will be made in connection to the matter."

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone did not respond to repeated requests for comment by press time.

The alleged cocaine use occurred in a common room of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, according to the release. All three arrested students, as well as the student who reported the incident, are members of SAE, according to the release.

"The Hanover Police Department was called to the fraternity in the early morning hours of May 13 by a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon organization," the release said.

SAE declined to comment because the investigation is ongoing, SAE president Brandon Floch '11 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth.

Director of Safety and Security Harry Kinne said Safety and Security was involved in the initial response in May 13 but requested the assistance of the Hanover Police.

"This investigation is being handled entirely at this point by Hanover Police because it involves a felony," Kinne said.

Kinne said he was unable to comment further on the case, but he added that the College is aware of the incident.

"I don't have a specific timeline as far as when students would be going to court," Kinne said.

It is unlikely that the College will take any disciplinary action until "we have more specific information on the situation," Kinne said, although he added that was not "definitive."

"A violation of federal, state, or local laws concerning drugs is a violation of College regulations and is subject to College disciplinary action up to and including separation," according to the College's student handbook.

Separation is defined as "permanent removal from the College community," according to the handbook.

If disciplinary action is pursued by the College, the appropriate sanction for violation of the policy will be determined by the Dean of the College, her designee, or the Committee on Standards, according to the handbook.

Acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears and director of media relations Roland Adams declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

Director of Judicial Affairs Nathan Miller could not be reached by press time.