Parker '10 reflects on career

05.10.10.softball_ashley mitchell
05.10.10.softball_ashley mitchell

"We were definitely coach Vogt's baseline to start with a strong program," Parker said. "Our class has been the driving force. After us, she has been able to get stronger and stronger players."

A decorated high school athlete from Spring Valley, Calif., Parker said she did not know much about Dartmouth's softball program but came in as a freshman with high expectations for herself and her teammates.

"Coach Vogt definitely stepped it up her [first] year, and I knew it was going to be something big," Parker said. "She definitely molded us, and we're like her kids."

Parker and her class quickly rose through the ranks and their presence did not go unnoticed, as the Big Green concluded a strong 2007 season campaign with a second place finish its highest since 2000, when Dartmouth won a record 32 games.

"We all came in wanting to take positions and five freshmen ended up starting," Parker said. "I knew it was going to be a learning curve, but all of us weren't really that shy. We came in knowing we have to play and just went after it."

As the Class of 2010 made noise on the field, they also quietly assumed leadership roles off of it.

"As a freshman, you have to have respect for the upperclassmen because they've still been on the team longer, but all the '10s definitely grew into the leadership position, and I saw my role completely change into a leader," Parker said.

She added that much of the players' responsibility lies in channeling their past experiences to build confidence and relieve frustration among her younger teammates.

"The underclassmen really look up to [the upperclassmen]," Parker said. "You have to calm them down when they get nervous about playing top-20 teams. You have to tell them that, You know, it's a tough game now, but when we get into the Ivy League, that's when it gets real.' You have to keep the dynamic on the team running smoothly."

For Parker, however, responsibility meant more than just actively communicating with teammates but also involves handling the pressures associated with leadership position.

"There's a million times if I strikeout, I just want to slam my helmet against the wall, but you have to hold back and don't take that with you for the rest of the game," Parker said. "It's not all about just performing. It's about the attitude and how you come off different situations, whether good or bad."

Reflecting on her career, Parker said maintaining a winning mentality depends heavily on leadership.

Last year, Parker's home run in the deciding game of the Ivy League Championship gave the Big Green a 1-0 lead over Cornell University, but the Dartmouth squad was not able pull out a win eventually losing 6-1.

Although the Big Green lost its chance to face the Big Red again for the Ivy crown this year, Parker said the team dynamic had never been stronger, Parker said.