Jones wins Assistant Coach of the Year

05.27.10.sports.tennis
05.27.10.sports.tennis

In his time at Dartmouth, Jones helped the team to win two Ivy League Championships in 1993 and 1997 and has coached numerous All-Ivy players during his tenure. In addition to working for the Big Green, Jones is also a USPTA teaching professional and serves as the head tennis professional at the Boss Tennis Center and Alan Gordon Pavilion at Dartmouth.

Former Dartmouth head coach Chuck Kinyon said he believes that Jones has garnered respect around the League because of his hard work and dedication.

"Jones has been key in running the regional championships and running all of the tournaments all of these years," Kinyon said. "It takes a lot of hours and a lot of talent. He is really respected by the other coaches in the region and for good reason. No other assistant has been in the same program for over 20 years. In addition to longevity, Dave is a quality person. Everyone likes him, whether they are on our team or on the opponents team, everyone respects him."

Kinyon who retired this year after a 30-year career at Dartmouth and Jones have been a together since Jones played for Kinyon in 1979 at Phillips Exeter Academy.

"Dave and I have been together so long that I think we have a great relationship," Kinyon said. "I would say that he is my right hand man, and you could say that he excels in some of the things that I don't do as well. I've depended on him for years and years, and we have developed a kind of fill in the blanks' relationship. I always say that you should find an assistant smarter than you are and one that is loyal and trustworthy. I found that with Dave."

Throughout his career, Jones has not only earned the respect of his fellow coaches, but of his athletes as well.

"[Jones] has made such an impact on the lives of all the athletes he has coached," Michael Laser '12, a member of the men's tennis team, said. "This is evident when I meet alums and the first person they tend to ask about is [Jones]."

Dan Freeman '10, another member of the men's tennis team, also noted the positive effect Jones has had on the team.

"He emphasizes character, integrity and sportsmanship," Freeman said. "He continually teaches and has taught the importance of sportsmanship and translating those values from the tennis court into our daily lives."

An assistant coach makes the biggest impact on his players by setting a strong example for them, which Jones has done according to men's tennis player Alexander de Chatellus '13.

"I think he really stresses the idea that it's not about us, it's about the team," de Chatellus said. "He makes sure that we understand that when you don't work hard one day, you are hurting the team more than you are hurting yourself. His dedication sets the greatest example that we all strive to follow."

Consistency and dedication are the main focus for Jones, according to Kinyon.

"Dave is a very big stickler for consistency," Kinyon said. "He is consistent every day. His expectations are the same every day and are at a high level that he demands you to live up to. This is so good and so valuable as an assistant coach. Dave is right on top of it all the time. He demands dedication and is an example of it. He basically lives in the Boss Tennis Center 12 hours a day, eight days a week. I bet he's there now."

De Chatellus echoed Kinyon's sentiment.

"Jones pushes us to excel day in and day out," de Chatellus said. "He doesn't let us make excuses. He makes sure that we are set on the goals that we want to achieve and he makes sure that we are on the path to achieve those goals. Overall, I think his accomplishments really speak for themselves He is no doubt a decorated coach, but, more importantly, he has helped all of us become better players and better people."