Daily Debriefing

David Fein '82 became Connecticut's U.S. attorney on Monday, after being nominated for the post by President Barack Obama in February, The Day reported on Monday. He is now in charge of over 60 assistant U.S. attorneys and approxiamately 55 staff members, according to The Day. Fein's office sees cases such including those involving federal criminal laws and those in which Fein represents the federal government in civil litigation. A lawyer from Old Greenwich, Conn., Fein has previously worked as an associate White House counsel to President Bill Clinton and as an assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, according to The Day.

First-year medical students' enrollment is not expected to reach the American Association of Medical Colleges' goal of a 30 percent increase between 2002 and 2015, according to projections released Monday by the AAMC. The enrollment projection for the 2014-15 school year is 20,281 students, which is a 23 percent increase from 2002-03, according to the report. Current data indicates that medical school enrollment will reach the 30 percent goal in 2018. While most medical schools have admitted more students, some have decreased enrollment because of the recession, according to the report.

University of California leaders are developing a $5 to $6-million program that will allow undergraduates to take courses online for credit, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. Proponents of the change said they hope the initiative will generate revenue, especially considering the severe financial crisis that the University is facing because of a reduction in state funds, The Chronicle reported. The program will also increase enrollment and improve access to elite education while making a new innovative system, according to The Chronicle. Next fall, University leaders will request proposals for approximately 25 popular introductory classes including Calculus 1 and Freshman Composition. Some faculty members are worried that the quality of education will suffer because of the lack of personal contact between students and instructors, according to The Chronicle. While other elite universities have been slow to offer online courses for credit, University of California leaders hope the pilot program will convince faculty to offer associate degrees and bachelor's degrees entirely online, The Chronicle reported.