Arrests down after policy change

05.17.10.floater.greenkey_nicholas root
05.17.10.floater.greenkey_nicholas root

Nine students were transported to Dick's House and six were taken to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center via ambulance, Kinne said. One intoxicated student was released to a parent.

Safety and Security also turned over seven other individuals to Hanover Police and sent four others to DHMC this weekend, according to Kinne.

The figures represent a significant increase in the number of non-students which includes alumni and visitors to the College who were turned over to the Hanover Police or required medical attention for intoxication, Kinne said.

In both 2009 and 2008, 11 students were arrested over Green Key weekend, The Dartmouth previously reported. No alumni were arrested during last year's Green Key.

Under the new Hanover Police policy, officers accompanying ambulances no longer automatically arrest underage drinkers, who are instead given seven days to enroll in the Alcohol Diversions Program before the police add a citation to their record.

Kinne said he was pleased that students and organizations used the Good Samaritan policy, which allows students to refer dangerously intoxicated students to Safety and Security without the threat of College disciplinary action.

In previous years, underage drinkers who were intoxicated enough to be sent to DHMC were immediately arrested upon reaching the hospital.Citations were then removed from their records after they completed the Diversions program.

Kinne said that Greek events were generally "well-run" and organizations quickly fixed small problems.

Safety and Security responded to 50 incidents, including pulled fire alarms and routine medical injuries, between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

"It was pretty typical for a busy weekend," Kinne said.

The increase in the number of non-students turned over to Hanover Police or sent to DHMC was "a little surprising," Kinne said.

Two individuals not affiliated with the College attempted to enter a party on Saturday night carrying alcohol, Kinne said. When two Safety and Security officers questioned the students, they tried to escape. One of the individuals intentionally ran into an officer and knocked him to the ground, according to Kinne.

The Safety and Security officers detained the individual and Hanover Police quickly responded, Kinne said. The other individual fled the incident and was not found, according to Kinne.

There have been few visiting alumni arrests over the last several years, but Hanover Police have typically placed alumni into protective custody in the past.Last year, three members of the Class of 2006 were taken into protective custody, The Dartmouth previously reported.

Hanover Police officers take people into protective custody if they are of legal age to consume alcohol, but the officers have determined that they are intoxicated to the point that they could pose a danger to themselves or others, The Dartmouth previously reported.