VERBUM ULTIMUM: Involved@Dartmouth.edu

To a large portion of the Dartmouth campus, the "Sun God" (formally known as Johnathan James Recor MALS '11) primarily inspires a general indifference toward his professed artistic goals of "unity" and "love." Responding to a mask-wearing, boombox-blasting, lightsaber-wielding, walking piece of performance art with apathy or even scorn is perhaps understandable. Although it holds a more prominent position on campus, Student Assembly often evokes a similar response from many students general lack of interest. Besides a few staunch supporters and participants, students often claim not to understand the Assembly's purpose. While the Assembly certainly does not always function as smoothly or effectively as it should, the body is more than a fringe organization in fact, its ultimate purpose is to represent every student's needs and interests, and it warrants the attention of the student body.

As a student population, we are split into many factions. Some of us want to "stand with staff" and others would rather stay seated. But the diversity of opinions and concerns shouldn't mean that only the most politically-minded or outwardly ambitious join the Assembly. Rather, the organization fills the need for a body that should represent the diversity of interests present on campus, as much to groups outside the Dartmouth Bubble as to those within. The candidate who wins the upcoming week's race will assume the title of Student Body President, a name that specifies the campus-wide scope of this position and is by definition far more than simply the leader of the Assembly. Take, for example, former Student Body President Molly Bode '09, who served as the only student member of the search committee to find the successor of former College President James Wright, one of many responsibilities the position entailed. Saying that you don't care about the next Student Body President or the Assembly at large is akin to admitting that you don't care if your voice has any effect on major College issues.

While the Assembly is endowed with the capacity to effect change, the organization frequently faces external resistance or internal inefficiencies. The Assembly's advocacy for a student board of the Organizational Adjudication Committee is a case in point. After much diligent work on the Assembly's part, the initiative was nearly tabled by the administration, but Assembly members and other student organizers resuscitated the project, and the board commenced operations in March ("Student board holds first hearing," Mar. 4). The now-defunct Alcohol Management Policy, which was strongly advocated by members of the Assembly, was likewise replaced by forces outside of its control.

Yet still, out of Dartmouth's many campus organizations, the Assembly is the one that truly ought to draw from all aspects of campus culture and all bases of ideas. We understand the frustrations many students have with the Assembly, but, ultimately, the organization's effectiveness reflects more on the student body than on its membership. It is our common responsibility to make the Assembly a meaningful agent in campus policy. Pay attention to the issues, go to a debate, vote. This election isn't a formality, it decides who will speak for all of us in the best and worst of environments. And who knows what the next year will bring.