The DDS Detective

There is a woman in my life who, among other things, inspired me to get involved in politics, made me snickerdoodles that rival Paula Dean's and even helped me make the decision to come to Dartmouth. Surprisingly, it's not my mother. It's my second mom. Her name is Malia Litman, but I call her Mama Lit. While I obviously love my own mother to death, Mama Lit has been an important person in my life from the day her daughter and I became good friends. Mama Lit is a very unique individual case in point her favorite movie is Bad Boys. Her second favorite movie is Bad Boys II. She's been a nurse, a lawyer, a published author and a mother sometimes all at the same time. She's the one whose house I go to even when her daughter is not there. Once on my birthday, I drove to see her at 11:30 p.m. just so I could celebrate the last minutes of my special day with the Litman family. The day before I left for college, she gifted me the Bad Boys collector's edition DVD box set. But enough about her; the reason you should still be reading is to hear about her bread pudding. I thought I didn't like bread pudding, but then I tried this wonderful creation, and it was like eating a cloud. A fluffy, gooey, chocolate-y cloud. If dessert could cure cancer, Mama Lit would get the Nobel Prize. So this week's recipe, bread pudding, is dedicated to Mama Lit, (grab the tissues) whose desserts, advice and love have had a larger impression on me than she'll ever know: 1.Get a piece of oatmeal bread from the sandwich line at Collis and break it into pieces in a soup cup.2.Drizzle honey and a generous amount of cinnamon from the smoothie bar on top of the bread pieces.3.Douse the bread with either chocolate or vanilla soymilk until almost half the bowl has soymilk in it.4.Microwave for a minute and 15 seconds, or until the all milk soaks into the bread.One last thing Mom, if you're reading this: Don't worry, I still love you the most. And your chocolate torte isn't bad either.