Safety and Security investigates break-in

An unidentified male wearing a hooded sweatshirt illegally entered the on-campus room of a male student and tried to make sexual contact with him before spring break, according to interim associate Dean of the College Harry Kinne. The male student filed a report with Safety and Security April 2, Kinne said.

"The individual came forward to us and told us about it, so we're looking into the matter as best we can," he said. "We're investigating and working with the individual."

Although Hanover Police are aware of the incident, they will not be involved in the investigation, according to Kinne.

During the ongoing investigation, S&S officers are going to have "high visibility around campus" and will be speaking with students who might have any information regarding the identity of the suspect, according to Kinne.

Kinne said that S&S officers are unsure of whether the perpetrator is a Dartmouth student.

The e-mail was sent to campus one week after the report was filed because the student reporting the incident was out of town. More information was needed before officials could tell students about the incident, Kinne said.

Kinne was unaware whether the student's departure was related to the attempted assault, Kinne said.