College admits 11.5 percent of applicants

After choosing from its largest-ever applicant pool -- a 3.5-percent increase over last year -- Dartmouth has offered 2,165 applicants admission to the Class of 2014, according to a press release issued yesterday by the College. Overall, a record

low of 11.5 percent of applicants were admitted, the release stated, down from last year's rate of 12.5 percent.

Decisions and financial aid packages will be released via a secure web site at 5 p.m. today, the release said."The size and strength of our applicant pool makes the process of selecting students for Dartmouth much more complex and challenging than it has ever been," dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Maria Laskaris said in the release.Nearly 40 percent of students from high schools that release class rank were valedictorians, down slightly from 42 percent last year. Students scored a mean of 2,214 on the SAT, according to the release. Eleven percent are the first in their families to go to college, while 44 percent are students of

color. Nine percent of accepted students are children of alumni, the release stated.

The admissions process has become completely paperless over the past several years, Laskaris said in the release, allowing the Admissions Committee to utilize off-campus readers from Alaska, Boston, North Carolina and New York.

"We're making more use of new technologies to stay connected with our former colleagues as well as those additional readers within our own community," Laskaris said in the release.