Arts staff roots for underdogs in 2010 Academy Awards

Correction appended

Editor's note: Thanks to the storm of industry politics surrounding the Academy Awards, it often seems that the winners are decided even before the nominees are announced. This year, we're sick of the politics. Here's what would happen if staff members Allie Bosch, Jackie Donohoe and Alec Brodsky could choose the winners along with the general consensus of critics nation-wide, just in case you need some advice for your Oscar pool.

Best Picture: "Avatar," "The Blind Side," "District 9," "An Education," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "Precious," "A Serious Man," "Up," "Up in the Air"

Predicted Academy Pick:"THE HURT LOCKER"

If only "Up" would win. Animated films are so rarely nominated for Best Picture, and if The Hurt Locker doesn't take the award, the Academy will probably bow down to the juggernaut that is "Avatar." But I can still dream of a win for Disney-Pixar's touching and very original story of an adorable, crotchety old man, his hilarious young companion and their airborne adventures. - Allie Bosch

"An Education" perfectly captures an austere post-war England. Carry Mulligan plays a nave Jenny caught between the temptations of life and an education, unable to wait for her adult life to begin, she lies on her bedroom floor singing along to Juliette Greco easily falling prey to a worldly older man. Sadly not a popular contender, its attention to detail and emotional draw is unfairly overlooked - Jackie Donohoe

With unemployment hovering around 10 percent, "Up in the Air," the story about a businessman (George Clooney) who flies around the country helping companies layoff employees sticks out among a strong field of films. Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick give amazing performances, but the true power of the film lies in the personal testimonies given by the recently unemployed. - Alec Brodsky

Directing: Kathryn Bigelow, James Cameron, Lee Daniels, Jason Reitman, Quentin Tarantino

Predicted Academy Pick: KATHRYN BIGELOW, "THE HURT LOCKER"

I enjoyed "Avatar" as much as the next person, but an Oscar? James Cameron should take pride in making the highest-grossing movie of all time, but his ex-wife Kathryn Bigelow ("The Hurt Locker") deserves the award. Her film stands ouamong several recent films dealing with the Iraq War. Full of action and suspense, the film achieves emotional power without moralizing. - Allie Bosch

Many Oscar enthusiasts have noted the fact that Bigelow would be the first woman to win Best Director, and for an action film, no less. But Bigelow deserves this award regardless of gender or genre. Her approach to the film and the topic of war is brilliant in its lack of preachiness, but obvious display of man's obsession with war and how the experience changes a person. - Jackie Donohoe

Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker" gives us a war movie that is equally powerful and disturbing. "The Hurt Locker" is the first great Iraq War movie to reach theaters. Whereas earlier attempts (2008's "Stop-Loss," for example) have come off as heavy-handed, Bigelow's film is skillfully executed a feat for which Bigelow clearly deserves recognition. - Alec Brodsky

Actor in a Leading Role: Jeff Bridges, George Clooney, Colin Firth, Morgan Freeman, Jeremy Renner

Predicted Academy Pick: JEFF BRIDGES, "CRAZY HEART"

Colin Firth, all the way. His nuanced performance in "A Single Man" elevated a good movie to an incredibly moving one. With the film snubbed in the Art Direction category, I worry it won't receive the recognition it deserves. But I suspect that Firth's depressed English professor will hold less sway over the hearts of the Academy than Jeff Bridges' whiskey-soaked musician in "Crazy Heart." - Allie Bosch

Covering new territory in this role, Firth successfully portrays the underlying emotions of a man's last day as he contemplates suicide. With an air of restraint and grief, Firth is believable as he anguishes over the loss of his lover. Unlike other contenders, his role as a British expat in 1962 Los Angeles displays subtle emotions without having to rely on dialogue. - Jackie Donohoe

This race is a toss-up between Firth and Bridges, but I'm calling it on the side of Firth. Though Bridges has the distinct advantage of having been nominated four times in the past (most recently for 2001's "The Contender"), Firth just might overcome come out the victor, with his flawless performance of a man torn between hope and despair. - Alec Brodsky

Supporting Actor: Matt Damon, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Plummer, Stanley Tucci, Christoph Waltz

Predicted Academy Pick: Christoph Waltz, "INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS"

Christoph Waltz didn't just steal every scene in which he appeared in "Inglourious Basterds" he practically stole the whole movie. His portrayal of the multifaceted Nazi Colonel Hans Landa is equal parts terrifying and hilarious. When he is onscreen, other characters respond with a palpable fear and tension. And his manic laugh and polite demeanor are just as unsettling as his cold brutality. - Allie Bosch

Claimed as Quentin Tarantino's secret weapon, Waltz played the film's pivotal character Hans Landa perfectly with intense verbal cleverness, idiotic judgments, and a sadistically polite demeanor. As a charming Nazi he takes over the screen from the first moment. He claims himself the best at hunting down Jews because he can think like them, think like a rat, and he successfully creates a character that embodies one. - Jackie Donohoe

Waltz's depiction of Colonel Landa blows away the competition. He flawlessly navigates four different languages while simultaneously creating one of the most sinister and memorable villains in years. Waltz works wonders with Tarantino's magnificent script, giving every word its proper due. Waltz is guaranteed this award, as he should be. - Alec Brodsky

Supporting Actress: Penlope Cruz, Vera Farmiga, Maggie Gyllenhall, Anna Kendrick, Mo'Nique

Predicted Academy Pick: Mo'Nique, "Precious"

Mo'Nique deserves the win for her devastating turn as the abusive mother of a pregnant teen in "Precious." Thedifficult role requires ample mental fortitude, yet Mo'Nique holds her own, preventing her monstrous character from becoming too one-dimensional. Vera Farmiga's thought-provoking role in "Up in the Air" may have won if not for Mo'Nique, who seems a sure bet after multiple other awards. - Allie Bosch

In a film about constant movement and lack of commitment, Farmiga's performance is the icing on the cake. She is the perfect romantic interest for a recluse corporate assassin, successfully but only temporarily encouraging the idea that not all baggage is bad. With elegant ease she ultimately becomes a figure shallower than ever expected, allowing the movie to come full circle. - Jackie Donohoe

The Best Supporting Actress Oscar is a lock for the comedian Mo'Nique. Her performance as Mary, the horribly abusive step mother of Clarice "Precious" Jones, is as chilling as it is extraordinary. Mo'Nique stunning performance allows us to feel both pity and contempt for her malevolent character. - Alec Brodsky

**The original version of this article incorrectly stated that Christoph Waltz was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for a role in "The Last Station." In fact, Waltz was nominated for "Inglourious Basterds."*