Students ‘Speak Out' about assault

Student speakers shared anonymous and personal stories of sexual assaults committed by strangers, family members and fellow students at the annual Speak Out event Wednesday night in Collis Common Ground. The event is part of V-Week, a two-week program sponsored by VDay Dartmouth, a campus organization aimed at raising awareness about violence against women.

The 11 presenters spoke about surviving sexual assault in prose and poetry form. While some shared their own stories, others read stories from other students who wished to remain anonymous. All students requested that their names not be printed because of the personal nature of the stories.

"[Speak Out] is a chance for people who have been affected by sexual violence to share their story and feel empowered," said Alicia Driscoll '11, co-organizer of Speak Out and a member of the V-Week events committee. "It's a way for people to take ownership of their experience, but do it in a safe space and hopefully with a group that will be respectful and really listen."

Several presenters described being raped at the College, and many submissions dealt with feelings of degradation, powerlessness and denial during and after the sexual assaults. Some students spoke of vicious rumors spread by classmates, while others talked about resenting others' pity.

"As women, we're trained from early on that it's the opinions of others that matter, that determine our value in the world," one presenter said. "More than anything else, it's our desirability to men that counts. And what happens to that when we're raped?"

Several presenters described frustration with perceived social misconceptions about sexual assault and its victims.

"The rape myths are incredibly damaging to survivors, and yet they exist because others need to believe in their own immunity," one speaker said.

Many of the presentations called for more open dialogue about sexual assault "to bridge the often times massive gap between those who have been victimized and those who haven't."

"I just want you to listen, to know what happens here too," one presenter said. "I didn't choose to be raped and I'm not ashamed anymore. Why should I have to keep quiet?"

Driscoll said Wednesday night's audience was the largest she had seen at the event in the past several years.

Audience members interviewed by The Dartmouth agreed that the event was an intense emotional experience.

"I'm really glad that this happened because I think that all of us know more people than we realize who are survivors of sexual assault," said an audience member who wished to remain anonymous because she plans to speak at next year's event. "Speak Out makes it okay to talk about it, and that's important."

Several female audience members said that they wished more males had attended.

"I wish it was mandatory for people to attend so that they would realize how appallingly present this is in our society, especially Dartmouth society," Lauren Lesser '10 said.

VDay Dartmouth was founded last year to expand the College's participation in the national VDay organization's fundraising and education efforts, according to Aviva Lillian '10, co-founder of VDay Dartmouth and this year's V-Week campaign organizer. VDay was launched by playwright Eve Ensler, who wrote the Vagina Monologues.

"It's an opportunity to sort of repackage feminism and make it really accessible and nonthreatening," Lillian said.

Although this is the 10th year the Vagina Monologues will be performed on campus, this is the first year they will be performed in the Hopkins Center and not in a smaller common space, according to Lillian, who is directing this year's production. The Vagina Monologues will be performed on March 3 and 4.

"We're really trying to make it a huge celebration for the entire campus," Driscoll said.

This year's V-Week events also include an open bar in One Wheelock on Saturday and the first annual Proud to Be a Woman Dinner honoring several dozen College students, professors and community members on Friday.

Last year's performance of the Vagina Monologues and raffles, donations and ticket sales at other VDay events raised $3,000, and organizers hope to raise $8,000 this year, Lillian said. Of the money raised, 90 percent will go to local organizations that help women and 10 percent will go to the national VDay organization, which "spotlights" a cause every year, she added.

Organizers said they are excited about the increased participation from Upper Valley organizations, many of which have sponsored events or provided donations to the cause.

"We're really excited to have many Dartmouth organizations and many Upper Valley organizations bond, collaborate and cooperate in the effort to protect all the women in our lives," Lillian said.