Daily Debriefing

Acting Provost and Dean of the Faculty Carol Folt announced in a letter to the student body Wednesday that Sustainability Manager Kathy Lambert '90 has resigned and will leave Dartmouth at the end of the month to pursue a "new opportunity in sustainability working on issues of regional and national policy." Lambert has held the position of sustainability manager since 2008 and has worked to bring together members of the community in building sustainabilty initiatives, Folt wrote in the letter. Lambert raised over $500,000 in new grant funding for the College, the letter said. The College will appoint an interim director and will begin a national search for a new Sustainability Program Director in the spring, according to the letter.

Donations to colleges and universities fell by 11.9 percent, to $27.85 billion nationwide, in 2009, the steepest ever decline in a single year, according a survey conducted by Voluntary Support of Education and released by the Council for Aid to Education on Wednesday. Private liberal arts colleges suffered the steepest decline in donations, the Council for Aid to Education reported. Alumni participation in giving to colleges and universities, which fell from 11 percent to 10 percent in 2009, is at its lowest level since the survey began recording statistics. The 20 institutions that raised the most funds reported receiving $7.28 billion in 2009, a decline of $1.13 billion from 2008, according to the report.

New Hampshire state Senators debated a bill that would make committing murder during a home invasion punishable by the death penalty, WMUR reported. The bill was developed in response to the Oct. 4, 2009 murder of Kimberly Cates in Mount Vernon during a break-in at her home. Supporters of the bill argue that the death penalty should be the punishment for any type of planned killing, while opponents argue that the death penalty is expensive and is not justified, regardless of the severity of the crime. In one example, the state has spent $350,000 defending Michael Addison, who faces the death penalty after being convicted of killing a police officer, WMUR reported.