Daily Debriefing

A biology professor at the University of Alabama was charged with murder after she allegedly shot and killed three colleagues at a Friday afternoon faculty meeting, The New York Times reported. The professor, Amy Bishop, had been denied tenure for a second time and learned of the decision Friday, a faculty member told The Times. Although the department's chair had supported her bid, Bishop's "thin" publication record and the fact that she had not secured enough grants led to the failure of Bishop's tenure bid, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. Three faculty members were killed and three more were critically injured at the meeting, according to The Times. Bishop had previously fatally shot her brother in 1986 and was subsequently released, although police are now considering re-opening the case, The Times reported.

After an "emotionally charged" meeting Friday, the University of North Texas' Board of Regents voted to accept the resignation of the institution's president, Gretchen M. Bataille, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported Friday. Bataille, the University's first female president, announced her resignation Wednesday without giving a reason, leading many to speculate that she was forced to leave her post and that her resignation stemmed from conflicts with the University's chancellor, according to The Chronicle. Some members of the audience denounced the decision after the vote, saying that it didn't "make sense," The Chronicle reported. A Facebook group created in support of Bataille had 820 members by Friday evening. Former Vice President for Finance Phil Diebel was named as interim president, The Chronicle reported.

President Barack Obama's image was pulled from Internet advertisements for the web site classesandcareers.com after The New York Times asked the firm's parent company, One on One Marketing, if they had gained the White House's approval to use the President's image, The Times reported. The advertisements, which show Obama's face alongside three individuals in graduation caps and gowns, encouraged potential students to "go back to school and get your share of the stimulus money," The Times reported. In a similar case, the Weatherproof Garment Company pulled a billboard from Times Square last month after consulting with the White House, according to The Times. The billboard had displayed Obama wearing one of the brand's jackets. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor told The Times the White House has historically discouraged the use of the President's image for commercial purposes.