HEAR AND NOW: Our furry friend, Devendra Banhart

Devendra Banhart released his latest album,

On Oct. 27, our furry friend released his major label debut and seventh studio album, "What Will We Be" (2009). Co-produced by Banhart and Paul Butler, of UK outfit Band of Bees, "What Will We Be" is like a reunion of old friends.

Banhart has reined himself in slightly from the abstract, and frankly, bemusing genre experimentation that has characterized his past works. His new album sounds less like friends bouncing ideas off each other and more like it has some kind of hazy purpose. That said, Banhart has by no means sacrificed his artistic voice just because he's entered the big leagues of the major label.

It's hard to pin the album down. Is it pastoral jazz? Latin reggae? Freak-folk-psychedelic-70s revisted-glam rock-groove? The beauty of this album is that Banhardt takes all of these genres, shakes them up and pieces them back together in 14 tracks. The result is that you're always slightly surprised, and intrigued, by what's coming out of your earphones. The single "Baby," with its subtle bass line, Banhart's murmured-mumbled lyrics and Grateful Dead-esque throwback, is one of the highlights of the album.

Despite the intriguing compilations and moments of genius, there are still a fair number of "What the hell am I listening to?" moments. It's not by any means an album that will be receiving major play on mainstream radio. Think of it as an album to listen to while sipping hot tea or grabbing lunch outside under the foliage, all while trying to avoid getting food in your whiskers.