Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth was ranked ninth in Kiplinger's 2009-2010 Best Values in Private Colleges list, which took into account the College's academic standards and need-based financial aid program. The list currently available online identifies the top 100 colleges that provide a quality education at an affordable price. The California Institute of Technology tops the list, with Princeton University coming in second and Yale University ranking third. Kiplinger considers an institution's ability to attract and retain intelligent students because of high-quality academics, according to an article accompanying the ranking. Colleges and universities are also ranked based on tuition, the types of financial aid offered and the percentage of students receiving aid, according to Kiplinger.

The U.S. Senate has rejected an amendment to an appropriations bill that would have ended federal support for the National Science Foundation's political science program, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Sunday. The amendment, introduced by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., in early October, was rejected by a vote of 62 to 36, The Chronicle reported. While the amendment was largely criticized by social scientists, Coburn argued that NSF funding should go toward practical solutions, like helping those with disabilities, according to The Chronicle. Coburn's proposal for the amendment came shortly after the NSF announced grants for 13 political scientists for national security projects.

Women are twice as likely as men to study abroad because of differences in how their backgrounds influence them, according to a study presented at the Association for the Study of Higher Education annual conference, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Friday. The study, conducted by three researchers at the University of Iowa, found that students' gender affects how they are shaped by their backgrounds, learning environment and social relationships, according to The Chronicle. The authors concluded women are more affected than men by having highly educated parents and taking classes in human diversity and differences, The Chronicle reported. Women at liberal arts colleges are also more likely to study abroad than women at regional or community colleges, the study found. Men who have not yet declared a major are also more likely to study abroad, The Chronicle reported. The study suggests that study abroad programs should adopt specific marketing strategies that take into account these gender differences.