Daily Debriefing

A study appearing in the Journal of American College Health found that students who live in coed housing engage in binge drinking more frequently than do those that live in single-sex housing, according to Inside Higher Ed. The study found that 42 percent of students living in coed housing engaged in binge drinking weekly, while only 18 percent of students living in single-sex housing engaged in the same behavior each week, Inside Higher Ed reported. The study involved more than 500 students from five separate colleges, according to Inside Higher Ed. Because most surveyed students who were living in coed housing did not specifically request this living situation, researchers did not attribute the discrepancy to the theory that students who frequently binge drink select to live in coed housing. The study was conducted by Brigham Young University professor Jason Carroll and Brian Willoughby, a visiting professor at Brigham Young.

After falling 35 to 40 percent in the last year, hiring levels for recent graduates are lower than they have been in several decades, according to a study released by Michigan State University on Monday. Last year's study predicted that the decline would only be between 8 to 10 percent, according Michigan University News. Overall hiring is expected to fall another 2 percent in 2010, according to the study. While mid-sized companies which are defined as having between 500 and 4,000 employees are expected to decrease hiring by 11 percent, and large companies which have more than 4,000 employees are expected to decrease hiring by 3 percent, companies with fewer than 500 employees are expected to increase hiring by 15 percent this year. The study predicts an increase in hiring for students focused in several areas including e-commerce, entrepreneurship and environmental sciences while students entering into such fields as teaching and accounting will face decreased job availability. The study, which involved over 2,500 companies and institutions, was conducted by the Michigan State University Collegiate Employment Research Institute.

The 2009 Harvard faculty development annual report indicatesthat 26 percent of professors at Harvard University are women, a figure which denotes a 16-percent increase since 2003, The Harvard Crimson reported. Minorities now account for 17 percent of the university's full, assistant and associate professors a 23-percent increase since 2003 according to The Crimson. "We're trying to get more minority faculty into every level of the University in all fields," Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity Judith Singer told The Crimson. "The numbers of minority Ph.Ds who want to go into academia are simply too low, especially when it comes to blacks, Latinos, and Native American faculty," she said. African Americans, American Latinos and Native Americans combined account for approximately 5 percent of the Harvard faculty, a percentage which has remained relatively constant since 2003, the Crimson reported.