State to consider Good Sam law

10.20.09.news.police
10.20.09.news.police

In an effort to encourage students to seek help for their intoxicated peers, Dartmouth College Democrats are working with local state representatives to implement a state-wide "Good Samaritan" law. The law modeled on the College's Good Samaritan Policy would make it more difficult for police to arrest intoxicated students in need of medical attention, addressing what is now a major disincentive for students who consider calling for help.

The Dartmouth Good Samaritan Policy, first established in 1987, allows students and student organizations to call for help for intoxicated students without the threat of College disciplinary action for alcohol policy violations.

As a result of New Hampshire's "possession by consumption" law, however, intoxicated, underage students at Dartmouth transported to the hospital via ambulance are usually arrested by Hanover Police.

Rep. Brian Poznanski, D-Hillsborough, a junior at St. Anselm College in Manchester, N.H., and Rep. David Pierce, D-Grafton, are sponsoring the bill. The legislation, which is currently in draft form, will be officially introduced when the New Hampshire House of Representatives convenes in January 2010.

"There is a ticking time bomb of sorts before someone in New Hampshire seriously suffers from their friends or their own fear of seeking medical attention because of legal consequences," Poznanski said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "Students are afraid to call 911 or tell a [residential assistant] because they fear prosecution."

Poznanski, a former residential assistant at St. Anselm's, argued that more must be done to ensure the safety of those who drink alcohol underage.

The language of the proposed legislation is still under discussion, New Hampshire College Democrats President David Imamura '10 said in a joint interview with the Dartmouth College Republicans President Daniel Kim '11. Imamura said legislators will consult with health care professionals and other experts as the bill is drafted.

Imamura said he hopes the bill will eventually become a bipartisan effort.

Democrats are currently working to build Republican support for the legislation.

Kim said he supports the proposed bill's general aims, but emphasized that he believes breaking the law must have consequences.

He said there must be a balance between reducing deterrents and ensuring that breaking the law has reasonable repercussions.

College President Jim Yong Kim has taken issue with New Hampshire's liquor law in the past, expressing his concerns on the matter to Gov. John Lynch, D-N.H., The Dartmouth previously reported.

The College declined to comment on the proposed Good Sam legislation for this article, according to spokesman Roland Adams.

"I think it's very unfortunate that what many people thought was a good rule, a good law, a law that would be helpful in terms of stopping alcohol use has put us in a situation where there are some really potentially negative effects and this is the possession by consumption law,'" Kim said in a previous interview referring to New Hampshire's possession by consumption law. "My own understanding was this was done out of a sense of good will and a sense that it would stop underage drinking. I don't think it's had that impact, and I think it's set up a terrible situation."

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone did not respond to requests for comment.