Daily Debriefing

College President Jim Yong Kim will be adopted as a member of the Class of 1982 during the class' mini-reunion this Saturday, Diana Lawrence, director of communications for the Office of Alumni Relations, told The Dartmouth on Tuesday. The formal adoption will take place in the Russo Gallery in Kemeny Hall. The Class of 1982 is adopting Kim because 1982 is the year he would have graduated from the College had he been a Dartmouth student, Lawrence told The Dartmouth. Former College President James Wright was an adopted member of the Class of 1964, she said.

The average cost of tuition at four-year public and private colleges rose 6.5 percent over the past year, according to a College Board report released on Tuesday. The average cost of tuition and fees at a four-year public college is now $7,020, while the average cost at a for-profit college is $14,171. Although grant aid rose, student borrowing also increased, the report said. The companion report, "Trends in Student Aid 2009," said that total aid increased by 5.5 percent and total borrowing increased by 8 percent from 2007 to 2008. Roughly two-thirds of undergraduate students receive aid in the form of grants, which averaged $5,041 during the last academic year, The New York Times reported. Roughly 66 percent of the grant money that public four-year colleges distribute is given in the form of merit aid, according to The Times.

More than $2 billion of the $13.1 billion in funds for education allocated to states in the economic stimulus package during the last fiscal year was spent on higher education, according to a White House report released Oct. 19. This year, $3.2 billion out of a total $20.3 billion in education funding is set aside for higher education. State and local governments provide roughly 40 percent of funding for public institutes of higher education. New Hampshire institutions of higher education will be receiving roughly $4 million during 2010 from the state stabilization fund, according to the report.