Daily Debriefing

Richard Freeman, Jr., a transplant surgeon at Tufts University, has been named chair of the department of surgery at Dartmouth Medical School, according to a DMS press release. Freeman, who currently leads the transplant fellowship program at Tufts-New England Medical Center and the Surgical Research Laboratories at the Tufts University School of Medicine, will join the DMS faculty on Jan. 4. "Everybody knows about Dartmouth's undergrad school, and the medical school in New England has a very good reputation," Freeman said in the press release. "I want to help make the hospital, the medical school and the department of surgery really be noticed nationally and internationally for its innovative care and cutting edge research." Freeman, in the release, said he believes that Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center's new 41,000-square-foot Outpatient Surgery Center will help DMS compete in a changing health care environment

Colleges and universities faced an upswing in the number of cases of influenza-like illnesses last week, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Wednesday. Many of the institutions hit by the increase originally appeared to be recovering from the outbreak, raising concerns that students at some colleges will face both the H1N1 virus and seasonal flu virus at the same time. Of the 270 schools surveyed by the American College Health Association, 97 percent reported new potential H1N1 flu cases for the week ending on Oct. 23, up from 95 percent the previous week. A majority of these cases are believed to be swine flu because the seasonal flu is not expected to become a significant factor until December or January, The Chronicle reported.

New rules targeting illegal file-sharing will have little effect on colleges and universities, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported on Wednesday. Institutions will likely not have to implement significant policy changes in response to the rules, which direct colleges to offer legal alternatives to illegal downloading, among other requirements. Many colleges already comply with the guidelines, which were created to inform institutions about how to comply with the Higher Education Act, passed in 2008.