Daily Debriefing

Forbes Magazine ranked the Tuck School of Business second after the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University in their 2009 MBA rankings, released last week. Forbes, in their sixth biannual ranking of business schools, determined the rankings by assessing the five-year total compensation after graduation, excluding the sum of tuition and forgone compensation, and also by surveying alumni. "The personal and rigorous education at Tuck delivered by a faculty of thought leaders, the emphasis on ethics and leadership and the fantastic alumni network lead our graduates to the top of their respective fields," Tuck Dean Paul Danos said in a school press release. In the last ranking in 2007, Tuck was ranked number one. The Princeton Review also released its annual ranking of "The Best 371 Colleges" last week, in which Dartmouth appeared on the lists of "Best Northeastern Colleges" and "Best Value Colleges Private." Dartmouth did not finish in the top 20 on any of the more specific lists. Last year, the College was ranked 18th out of 368 colleges for "Students Dissatisfied with Financial Aid" and was also rated 17th on the "Colleges with a Conscience" list.

Many college students and their parents are paying thousands of dollars to companies such as the University of Dreams in order to secure unpaid internships, The New York Times reported on Aug. 8. University of Dreams received applications from over 9,000 applicants this year, many of them recent graduates a number the company attributed to the economic recession, the Times reported. The company said students do not usually have difficulty finding internships but struggle to get hired because they lack the relationships with employers that the company claims to have. Critics have pointed out that such companies give an unfair advantage to students whose parents are willing to buy opportunities for their children, the Times reported.

James Preston Russell '05 passed away on Aug. 2 at the age of 26 in his hometown of Tulsa, Okla., according to an obituary in the Tulsa World. Russell was an English major at the College. After graduation, Russell worked briefly in the insurance industry. He then went on to obtain a masters in finance in 2008 from the Babcock Graduate School of Management at Wake Forest University. Russell is survived by his father, mother and sister.