Boston summer concerts showcase Jamie Foxx, Cool Kids

Jamie Foxx brings his
Jamie Foxx brings his

The end of the term (and with it, finals, papers and projects) is looming overhead, but there still remain a few weeks of concerts worth checking out in Hanover's closest neighboring metropolis Boston.

JAM'N 94.5 Presents Jamie Foxx, Aug. 20, Bank of America Pavilion

While promoting his third studio album, "Intuition" (2008), Jamie Foxx will be performing in Boston as part of his nationwide "Blame It Tour." The comedian, actor and singer has made his name known across a wide range of fields in the entertainment industry, getting his start on the cast of "In Living Color" in the 1990s, earning an Oscar for his portrayal of Ray Charles in "Ray" in 2004 and releasing a now-platinum album late last year.

Although "Intuition" features appearances by Kanye West, T.I. and Lil Wayne, Foxx doesn't advertise special guests at his concert. The man is a show all unto himself, but maybe Bank of America Pavilion audiences will luck out and get the treat of seeing Foxx with his superstar collaborators.

Mew, Aug. 22, Paradise Rock Club

The Danish trio Mew offers an unpredictable, progressive form of indie rock that is perhaps best captured by their clever, artfully done and sometimes obscure music videos. The soft, high-pitched voice of vocalist and guitarist Jonas Bjerre pairs well with the swelling, layered sound Mew produces, coming together to create a complete sonic landscape in which one is only too willing to get lost.

Coming off of an international tour supporting Nine Inch Nails, Mew will perform a few of their own shows in the U.S. and then a slew of concerts in Europe. With a new album bearing the absurdly long title of "No More Stories/Are Told Today/I'm Sorry/They Washed Away/No More Stories/The World Is Grey/I'm Tired/Let's Wash Away" set for release in the U.S. on Aug. 25, the trio can expect the same kind of enthusiastic reception and acclaim its past five studio albums received.

The Cool Kids, Aug. 28, Paradise Rock Club

If you didn't get to see The Cool Kids when they performed at a Programming Board-sponsored show at Dartmouth in 2007, here's your second chance. Boston's Paradise Rock Club may not as conveniently close as Alumni Hall, but the strong personalities of the rapping duo and colorful 1980s-style gear may be worth the two-hour drive.

At times, the backing tracks of The Cool Kids' songs are a little too sparse, only providing the same steady beat throughout the entire recording. While this choice does successfully showcase the rhymes in the songs and the beat is catchy enough to keep audiences listening, a little more musical variation would be welcome.

Yet, what The Cool Kids lack in music, they are sure to make up in showmanship, guaranteeing an entertaining show.

The Flaming Lips, Aug. 30, Bank of America Pavilion

The Flaming Lips are performing need I say more? Hailing from Oklahoma, The Flaming Lips have managed to sustain a prolific and perpetually evolving career since the 1980s. They are currently touring in the U.S. and will be serving as co-curators for the All Tomorrow's Parties in September in Monticello, N.Y., having selected bands including Crystal Castles, Deerhoof and Super Furry Animals to perform at the festival.

A journey to see this famous psychedelic and experimental band would constitute the perfect post-finals trip in every sense of the word. After all, what better way to clear your head of all the enigmatic formulas and pedantic terminology you crammed at the last minute and replace it with the equally foreign and bizarre musings of singer, songwriter and guitarist Wayne Coyne? If you wish for Christmas in July, The Flaming Lips will give you "Christmas on Mars." If you hope for peace, they'll give you battles with pink robots and war with mystics. If you want good music, however, you don't even have to ask.