‘Basterds' breaks from Tarantino gore formula

Film Inglourious Basterds Title
In this film publicity image released by The Weinstein Co., Brad Pitt is shown in a scene from, "Inglourious Basterds." (AP Photo/The Weinstein Co., Francois Duhamel) ** NO SALES **

I am personally a huge fan of Tarantino's signature gory scenes and colorful action sequences. So I couldn't help but be disappointed when Tarantino's newest endeavor, the World War II film "Inglourious Basterds," failed to deliver two full hours of non-stop brutality, as the film's previews had led me to expect. Yet despite this unsettling letdown, I still feel the need to argue on the movie's behalf "Inglourious Basterds" (2009) is phenomenal. It is an intriguing and genuine dramedy. And, despite the lack of gore, not a second went by that I was not thoroughly entertained.

The title itself was intriguing to begin with. Not only did the misspelling of "inglorious" and "bastards" make me briefly question my grasp of the English language, but it also served to indicate Tarantino's attitude towards his work it never takes itself too seriously. The movie is meant to be a fun and enjoyable ride, and it offers nothing more than pure, unadulterated entertainment.

"Inglourious Basterds" is a blatantly historically inaccurate re-imagining of the Nazi occupation of France during World War II. The narrative follows two converging plot lines, both featuring characters that are passionately involved in anti-Nazi efforts. The primary (not to mention more entertaining) storyline follows a group of Jewish-American soldiers, known as the "Basterds," who are dropped into France with one purpose to kill as many Nazi soldiers as possible in the most inhumane manner as possible.

The premise is unique and fun well, as fun as a wartime movie can ever be with a lot to offer the audience. Tarantino introduces us to compelling characters on both sides of the battlefield as well as some truly imaginative schemes of destruction that keep the suspense on a constant climb. This setup seems ripe for Tarantino-esque shootouts and massacres. Yet the film, to my surprise, did not showcase the gore and carnerage that he is known for.

We are treated to the occasional action scene this is still Tarantino, after all. One particular climactic gunfight knocked my socks off, but the level of gore is far below the bar set by "Kill Bill." So, if the prospect of excessive blood and guts was deterring you from watching the film, you may want to re-evaluate this decision. The violence is certainly tolerable although the film definitely still merits its R rating.

With the lack of expected gore, what really makes the film shine are the brilliantly crafted scenes of awkward conversation that serve as a testament to Tarantino's talent as both a director and a screenwriter. Take, for example, the opening sequence a suspenseful scene of dialogue between a Nazi officer and a farmer who is secretly sheltering Jewish refugees beneath the floorboards which they are standing on. The overall simplicity of the scene would not suggest it to be a pinnacle of Tarantino's filmmaking, but the sequence is truly remarkable. The cinematography is stellar, the dialogue is natural, and the comedy is brilliant. All just for a scene of trivial conversation around a kitchen table.

The acting, too, is consistently up to par with Tarantino's previous works. Brad Pitt is a delight, starring as the Basterds' redneck commander, Lieutenant Aldo Raine. Other notable members of the Basterds include Sergeant Donny Donowitz, portrayed by Eli Roth (best known for directing the 2005 horror film "Hostel") and Smithson Utivich, played by B.J. Novak of NBC's "The Office."

Actually, the superb performances from many of the Basterds gives rise to my main criticism of the film I honestly wish that I could have seen more of these characters.

Tarantino introduces us to an incredibly funny and original squad of soldiers, and it is a shame that more screen time was not given to the development of this group. Instead, Tarantino splits the screentime between the lovable Basterds and the less intriguing characters of the other, less interesting storyline.

"Inglourious Basterds" is a perfect summer film. It succeeds immensely in dramatic suspense and delivers genuine comedy throughout. The action, when present, is intense, and the Basterds are a lovable squad that I couldn't get enough of.

The movie doesn't necessarily deliver what the previews promised that is, a non-stop testosterone-infused gorefest but the phenomenal production value of the film more than compensates for this fault.

Given that the Academy has decided to recognize 10 nominees for Best Picture next year, I would not be surprised if "Basterds" found itself among them come February.