Panel explores summer alcohol policy

College administrators and Hanover Police officers clarified the College's alcohol policy for the Summer term at a panel discussion in Collis Commonground Wednesday afternoon. Nearly 200 students turned out for the discussion, which highlighted differences in the operation of the Good Samaritan policy that take place during the summer.

Greek Leadership Council moderator David Johnson '11 presided over the panel, which was organized by the GLC and Deb Carney, director of Greek Letter Organizations and Societies and assistant dean of Residential Life.

Hanover Police Captain Frank Moran, who represented Hanover Police at the panel along with Officer Matt Ufford, urged students not to let a fear of arrest prevent them from calling for help in an emergency.

"If you're under 21 and you're caught with alcohol, intoxicated or in possession, it's not a huge deal legally," Moran said. "It's not a criminal record, it's not huge fines it's actually no more important to your future than if you had a speeding ticket."

Organizations that call in a Good Sam will not face judicial sanctions for alcohol violations, contrary to popular "myth," panelist Nathan Miller, assistant director of Judicial Affairs, said. Other related infractions could, however, lead to disciplinary action, according to Miller.

"Although alcohol may be covered, there may be other sanctions related to other behavior, because Good Sam only covers [violations related to] alcohol," Miller said, citing fighting or other disorderly conduct as incidents that could result in disciplinary action following a Good Sam call.

During the regular academic year, students with a blood alcohol level between 0.08 and 0.29 are sent to Dick's House until their blood alcohol level falls below 0.08, panelist Brian Bowden, coordinator of the Alcohol and Other Drugs Education Program, said. During the summer, however, Dick's House is closed at night and cannot accommodate students, he said.

Because Dick's House is closed after 5:00 p.m. over the summer, Dartmouth Safety and Security officers have a "thinner safety net" when dealing with intoxicated students, Harry Kinne, Director of Safety and Security, said.

Students who have been drinking will either be turned over to a sober companion or transported to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center depending on their level of intoxication, according to Kinne.

"If somebody's level of intoxication is relatively mild, we would do a turnover, but if there's a concern for safety, we'll go to the hospital," Kinne said.

Whenever a student is transported to DHMC by ambulance, Moran said, it is the policy of Hanover Police to dispatch a patrol unit to the scene. Moran suggested that there would be a strong possibility of arrest following a student's transfer to the hospital.

"If [Hanover Police officers] get on scene and they see things that are violations of law, they'll take note of it," he said.

There have been three alcohol-related arrests since the beginning of Summer term, according to Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone.

Only one of those cases definitively involved a Dartmouth student, Giaccone said. Because the student population is relatively small in the summer, Giaccone said, it is difficult to compare the number of arrests over the summer to those made during the rest of the year.

In the event of an alcohol-related incident, Kinne emphasized the importance of cooperating with officers. Such cooperation is essential if a student wants to be eligible for Hanover Police's diversion program, which offers an alternative to going to court, Moran said.

"If you abuse our officer, we're not going to put you in the diversion program," Moran said. "It's common sense, right?"

Kinne also stated during the panel that students do not have the right to deny Safety and Security officers access to Greek physical plants.

Stephenie Lee '11, programming chair for Sigma Delta sorority, who attended the panel, said she thought the panel was a good way to publicize College policies.

"We all know that [Safety and Security] is here for our safety, but our priorities are to do what's best for our house," she said. "It was good to hear that houses wouldn't get in trouble for being responsible."

Another student in attendance, however, voiced concerns during the panel that there may be disparity between the College's policies and Hanover Police actions.

Moran agreed that there are sometimes difficulties reconciling the responses of the College and Hanover Police.

"The biggest problem is the College is trying to afford for you guys the least putative, most beneficial way to deal with problems," Moran said. "So there is a problem, but it's not solvable by us just selectively enforcing [the law], because we're sworn to enforce the laws of New Hampshire."

Shamus Hyland, public relations chair for the Greek Leadership Council, said he thought the panel promoted an alcohol policy that is consistent with practices during the regular academic year.

"Most of us are underage, so [administrators and police] know that and have to act accordingly," Hyland said.

Hyland also added that he appreciated the way the panelists identified student safety as their first priority.

"I think Captain Moran put it best," Hyland said. "Often times a decision will come down to a minor infraction that doesn't amount to much or a student life."