Short Answer: Same-sex marriage

I appreciate the fact that New Hampshire is following Vermont's lead in working to implement this law through the state legislature, rather than from the bench. Given the fact that the bill passed by such a narrow majority in both the House and the Senate, I feel that a veto from Lynch would be legitimate. Lynch has a role in creating legislation -- his job is not simply to approve bills that are passed by the state legislature.

--Blair Sullivan '10

Thankfully, the parade of progress in the United States once again marches on. It's time for Americans of all stripes to get over their morbid obsession with what their countrymen do in their bedrooms, and extend the flowers of freedom to all Americans. In these cold, hopeless times, it is particularly vile to deny anyone a shot at happiness. Bravo, New Hampshire, I hope your sister states follow your laudable example.

--Raza Rasheed '12

While I am glad that some progress is being made towards legalizing gay marriage, I think that the amendment allowing civil officials to refuse to perform marriages is absurd. It allows employees of the state to practice prejudice, which is not right.

--Tom Mandel '11

The New Hampshire Senate's passage of this bill was neither a step forward nor a step backwards; it was a step to the side. But with such a big proportion of the country still in opposition to same-sex marriage, the Senate was wise to allow those in opposition the ability to define marriage on their own terms. Nevertheless, if the lawmakers of New Hampshire legalize same-sex marriage, civil officials must be forced to comply regardless of their personal beliefs. It is their duty to carry out the laws of the land. We should expect nothing less of them.

--Jasper Hicks '12

As frustrating as it may be that New Hampshire's same-sex marriage bill allows civil officials to opt out of performing same-sex marriages, it's important to remember what a massive cultural change the bill represents. Like all cultural shifts, universal acceptance of same-sex marriage isn't going to happen overnight. Rather than forcing it upon the nation, the best way to ensure the continued success of the same-sex marriage movement is to ease America into it incrementally. In one status quo-shattering decision in 1973, abortion was legalized across America, and today, more than 30 years later, the debate surrounding abortion is as contentious as ever. If we want gay marriage to be a non-issue in 30 years, we need to be patient.

--Emily Johnson '12

The democratic process continues to roll forward. The bill has appropriately separated civil and religious marriage, and will likely be one in a long line of legislative debates across the country in the coming years.

--Isaiah Berg '11

I was greatly heartened to hear that same-sex marriage is almost legal in New Hampshire (barring a veto from Lynch). In my view, gay marriage is something that exists whether we recognize it or not. When the bonds of affection have become so tightened between two people, it is a marriage regardless of what we say about it. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." While it is unfortunate that civil officials will be allowed to decline to grant a marriage license in this case, that is a small compromise to get this legislation through. Now, hopefully Lynch will have the intellectual courage to recognize that (in another famous floral aphorism), "A rose is a rose is a rose."

--Sam Buntz '11