Daily Debriefing

The Tucker Foundation's Special Olympics organization hosted its fifth annual Upper Valley Summer Olympics Games on Saturday, according to event chair Kyle Sherry '09. The event, which included 90 participants from New Hampshire and Vermont, served as the regional level of competition. Athletes who achieved qualifying scores or times on Saturday will participate in a state competition later this summer. Approximately 75 Dartmouth students volunteered for the Games, which featured track and field events, swimming competitions and bocce ball on Memorial Field. "It's really important to get involved in the community," Sherry said. "It connects us to something bigger and helps us foster a relationship between Dartmouth and the community."

Wesleyan University resumed regular operations on Friday, May 8, after the campus went into lockdown following the murder of Wesleyan junior Johanna Justin-Jinich on Wednesday, according to a Wesleyan Campus Security Update. Justin-Jinich was working at a campus bookstore when Stephen Morgan, disguised in a wig, entered the store and shot her seven times, according to The New York Times. Justin-Jinich and Morgan met each other while taking summer classes at New York University in 2007, and Justin-Jinich later complained to NYU campus security that Morgan had harassed her, The Times reported. Wesleyan issued security alerts after police found Morgan's journal -- which indicated that he planned to target Wesleyan and its Jewish students -- in his car in the bookstore's parking lot following the shooting, The Times reported. Morgan turned himself in to police in a nearby town late Thursday night, according to a Wesleyan Campus Security Update. Wesleyan is providing counseling services and promising flexibility on final exams and other academic work in light of the tragedy, according to an e-mail sent by Provost Joseph Bruno to Wesleyan faculty.

Economic pressures are forcing many professors to delay their retirement plans, a survey released on May 8 by TIAA-CREF found, according to Inside Higher Ed. Colleges may have to provide better retirement incentives, the data suggests, to create room to hire new, typically lower-paid, faculty members, Inside Higher Ed reported. In a series of surveys administered over the last three months of 2008 and the first three months of 2009, about one-third of TIAA-CREF participants 50 years and older reported that they planned to delay their retirement, Inside Higher Ed reported. TIAA-CREF provides financial services principally for individuals in academic and research fields.