Daily Debriefing

The College's Panhellenic Council voted Monday night on whether to invite Kappa Delta sorority or Delta Zeta sorority to join Dartmouth's Greek system. The results will be announced Tuesday evening, Panhell President Amaka Nneji '10 said in an interview with The Dartmouth. Nneji declined to comment on which sorority was selected because she said Panhell wanted to inform the sororities before announcing the results to campus. The new sorority will be the eighth at the College. The sorority not chosen will likely be a top contender next time Panhell is interested in inviting a new sorority to campus, according to Jessica Lane '09, former Panhell president and extension committee chairperson.

Amma Serwaah-Panin '10 said she was surprised when she arrived at Casque and Gauntlet senior society on Friday, expecting to attend a dinner, and was instead presented with the Ranny B. Cardozo Prize, which is given annually to an outstanding junior in memory of Cardozo, a member of the Class of 1978 who passed away suddenly in his junior year, according to the Dean of the College's web site. Serwaah-Panin, who is modifying her economics major with math, told The Dartmouth that she works as an undergraduate advisor, tutors in the First-Year Office and connects international students with local host families. She is also a member of Sigma Delta sorority and treasurer of the Panhellenic Council. Serwaah-Panin, who grew up in Swaziland and Ghana, also helped to coordinate the second annual Harambe conference held in Bretton Woods, N.H. last month, which brought college and university students who are members of the African diaspora together to discuss how they could continue to be involved in working on African development issues.

Approximately two dozen students participated in a protest at Harvard University on May 20 in response to the Harvard Health Services' decision to discontinue anonymous HIV testing, according to The Harvard Crimson. Protesters initially planned to conduct a "test-in" to highlight the need for anonymous testing, The Crimson reported. After Health Services refused to test most students because they did not have an appointment or a medical complaint, protesters began waving signs advocating for anonymous testing, The Crimson reported. Harvard women, gender and sexuality professor Linda Ellison organized the protest to raise awareness about the issue, according to The Crimson. Many students and faculty fear that those who are in need of HIV testing will now avoid being tested, The Crimson said.