Sailors race to strong finishes on the Charles River in Boston

The Dartmouth women's sailing team had a strong showing this weekend, racing to a third-place finish at the President's Trophy Women's Regatta at Boston University. Thirteen other squads competed at the regatta, with Boston College finishing first overall.

With the finish, the team is now ranked ninth in the country.

Meanwhile, racing at the Central Series 4 Regatta at Harvard, Dartmouth's coed team finished in third place, led by the strong sailing of Charlie Knape '10 and Heidi Heller '10, who won six of their eight total races.

Four sailors raced for the Big Green women's team at the President's Trophy Regatta. In the 'A' division, skipper Kendall Reiley '09 teamed up with Ali Hiller '11 to secure fourth place.

Sailing six races on Saturday, Reiley and Hiller earned mixed results, finishing second and third in two races, but also finishing seventh twice, eighth once and 10th once. The seven races run on Sunday saw Dartmouth find more success, finishing within the top six in all of its races for a two-day total of 69 points.

In Dartmouth's 'B' division boat, Becca Dellenbaugh '10 and crew Sarah Johnston '09 finished in third place in Saturday's last three races, before enjoying consistently good racing Sunday to finish with a two-day point total of 64.

The 'A' and 'B' division results gave the Big Green an overall score of 133, putting Dartmouth in third behind Yale in second, but well ahead of fourth-place Brown at the President's Trophy Regatta.

Tim Scanlon '12 and crew Rocky Merchant '12 joined Knape and Heller at the Central Series Regatta, finishing in 11th place.

The regatta saw eight teams, each fielding two boats, racing in a single division that ran eight races on Saturday.

Knape and Heller enjoyed a stellar performance, finishing with a spectacularly low score of just 14 points to claim first place. Scanlon and Merchant got off to a slower start, finishing tenth with 74 points. Nonetheless, Knape and Heller performed well enough to ensure that the Big Green finished in third place overall.

Knape said competing in Boston can be a challenge.

"Sailing in a new venue like the Charles River, which is one of the most prestigious in the Northeast, was exciting," he said. "We had heard a lot about how difficult it would be, but we found it to our liking. Heidi and I made the most of it by winning six of eight of our races, and we're pretty psyched."

A third squad of seven Dartmouth sailors competed at the Marchiando-Friis Regatta at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. This squad did not, however, enjoy the same success as the other groups from Dartmouth, struggling to compete against the field. Sailing in two round robins, with seven races in each round, the Big Green sailors only won one race in the first round and just two races in the second round, and failed to advance to the third round of the tournament.

The lone wins at MIT for the Big Green came against Salve Regina University, St. Mary's University and Bowdoin College. As a result, Dartmouth was in last place going into Sunday's racing.

"We had more trouble at the Friis-Marciando Regatta, but now the lake is finally thawed and we'll have a solid week of practice going into New Englands, where we hope to qualify for the National Semifinals regatta," Matt Cohen '10, who competed at MIT, said.

Next weekend, the Big Green is scheduled to compete in four separate regattas. The women's team will be competing at the Wick-Shrew Trophy Women's Regatta, held at the United States Coast Guard Academy. The coed sailors will be competing at the New England Sloop Championship, hosted by Boston College, in hopes of qualifying for the postseason.

Dartmouth sailors will also sail in the Oberg Trophy Regatta, hosted by MIT, as well as the Northern Series Regatta hosted by Southern Maine University.