HEAR AND NOW: New releases by three legends

Three new big-name albums will be released on Tuesday.a
Correction appended

Dylan, Ben Folds singing a cappella and a Streisand retrospective -- with all three of these albums being released today, it's like Christmas, the Fourth of July and Thanksgiving all falling on your birthday.

Bob Dylan: "Together Through Life"

Multiply my age by two, add six for good measure, and you'll have the number of albums Bob Dylan has released (46). Dylan's newest album, coming after the well-received "Modern Times" (2006), focuses on seductive romance and struggling relationships.

Highlights include accordion playing -- the instrument is included on every track -- and the song "Life is Hard," which was produced for French director Oliver Dahn's forthcoming film "My Own Love Song."

Also included in the album is a disc containing an episode of Dylan's radio show.

Will Dylan once again prove he's still the same bard he was over four decades ago?

Has his trademark gravelly voice deteriorated from passionate croon to I-spent-the-day-at-the-concrete-factory?

The answers to these questions remain to be seen, but I believe there is every reason to believe that this dinosaur of American music might just have done it again.

Ben Folds: "Ben Folds Presents: University A Cappella"

On his official web site, Ben Folds explains the genesis of his newest effort.

"Music education has been atrophying," Folds said. "And yet, at any given school, any number of a cappella groups are getting together a few times a week to rehearse and perform ... I wanted to capture that magic."

Sadly -- and a tad inexplicably -- the Dodecs are not a part of this album.

But the 16 tracks feature the vocal stylings of 14 other a cappella groups from universities nationwide.

Yes, it is a bit self-referential for him to acknowledge that a cappella groups tend to cover his music. But you have to admit that the premise is intriguing and novel.

Yet as any Dartmouth student will tell you after enduring the 10-day a cappella fest otherwise known as First-Year Orientation, one can only listen to so much music sans instruments.

Barbra Streisand: "The Concerts" on DVD

What seems strange about the following sentence, taken from the Amazon.com product description for this latest album?

"Barbra Streisand is world-renowned for thrilling audiences with her magical performances, her supreme vocal talent and setting box office records."

My thought: everything.

Against the better musical judgement of many, including myself, Streisand today releases a three-disc DVD set encapsulating her decades-long career.

Disc one will feature a 2006 performance in Ft. Lauderdale with special guest Il Divo.

The Amazon.com description says that the second disc "allows fans to experience the unforgettable 1994 concert live at Arrowhead Point," while the third disc is a composite of Streisand's most memorable moments from the 1960s and 1970s.

Streisand fans, take note. From today onward you have a very special opportunity to bring Babs into your living room and share her magic with your family, friends and neighbors.

Everyone else, take note as well and flee.

This article was previously incorrectly corrected to state that Bob Dylan plays the accordion on each track of his newest album "Together Through Life." In fact, each track features accordion played by David Hidalgo of Los Lobos. In addition, the article was incorrectly corrected to state that the album's bonus disc is a compilation of cover songs. In fact, that disc contains an episode of Dylan's radio show.