Daily Debriefing

Joseph Jiampietro '87 has been tapped to be the senior advisor for markets to Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Chairman Sheila Blair, according to a March 24 FDIC press release. Jiampietro will provide Blair with policy and legal advice regarding fiscal transactions, business markets and bid structures. Jiampietro's economic experience was a major reason for his consideration and appointment to the position, Blair said in the release. Jiampietro served as managing director of the Financial Institutions Group at J.P. Morgan in the New York office since 2007, having previously served as a managing director at the Financial Institutions Group of UBS Investment Bank, according to the press release. At Dartmouth, Jiampietro majored in government. He later received a law degree from Columbia University.

Physics and astronomy professor Kristina Lynch served as the principal investigator for CASCADES II, a NASA rocket that successfully launched and flew through an active aurora on March 20, according to PhysOrg.com. The rocket, which reached its peak over Kaktovik, Alaska, separated into five different probes that measured and recorded the activity and movement of the aurora. Cameras stationed at Toolik Lake, Alaska, and Kaktovik recorded the rocket's data, which scientists began to analyze March 24. Lynch prepared for the launch with investigators from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks, Clemson University and the University of Iowa for the past month at the Poker Flat Research Range in Alaska, the largest land-based rocket range in the world. CASCADES II is the final rocket to launch from the range for 2009.

Ibrahim Elshamy '09, who will graduate in 2010, was named one of 60 recipients of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Award, according to the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation. Scholars receive $30,000 to fund graduate study, leadership training and internships. Scholars were chosen based on their commitment to public service and are required to work in public service for three years after the completion of their graduate degrees. Elshamy is a native of Manchester, N.H., and is an Asian and Middle Eastern Studies and Native American Studies double major. Elshamy contributed to a partnership between the refugee-relief organization STAR-Cairo and the College. He also directs community service projects in the Upper Valley through the Tucker Foundation. Elshamy said he hopes to attend graduate school for international law and to have a career pertaining to international law, human rights law or Middle Eastern studies.