Women's swimming and diving beats Northeastern 165-135

The women's swimming and diving team defeated Northeastern University this weekend for its second straight win.

Northeastern swept the first eight events, but Dartmouth (7-7, 1-5 Ivy) was able to secure both second and third place in seven of those eight events. The Big Green when on to take several first-place finishes and swept the top three spots in both diving events.

"We were really happy about winning since it was our last non-league meet," Elizabeth Kamai '12 said. "We wanted to avenge last year's loss to Northeastern, and we rose to the challenge. This is especially impressive after a month of racing."

In the 1000-yard freestyle, Stephanie Cobau '12 placed second in 10:43.74, with Anna Sonstegard '11 finishing next with a time of 11:02.62.

Galen Barry '12 and Hillary Preston '09 were second and third, respectively, in the 100-yard backstroke, and Maddie Steiner '11 and Kamai finished second and third in the 200-yard freestyle with times of 30.01 and 30.78. Steiner also took second in both the 200-yard breaststroke, with a time of 2:30.40, and the 200-yard IM in 2:14.02.

Heather Jankins '09 also had two second-place finishes for the Big Green, swimming the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:09.26 and the 50-yard freestyle in 24.85. Teammate Virginia Selden '11 was second in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:08.82. She was followed closely by Sonstegard in 2:09.65.

Kamai got the first win for the Big Green by taking the 100-yard freestyle in 53:59. Barry continued the Big Green's success, taking first in the 200-yard backstroke in 2:09.53. Cobau later won the 500-yard freestyle in 5:10.26.

To round out the Big Green's top finishes, Kelsey Pinson '12 won the 100-yard butterfly for the Big Green in 58.97.

Dartmouth also won both the 400-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay. The medley relay -- which consisted of Barry, Jankins, Kamai and Caitlin Nicholson '12 -- finished in 4:00.34. Nicholson and Kamai, along with Steiner and Preston, were also part of the 400-yard freestyle team which took first place in 3:36.95.

"We won the meet because of our team's depth, and our divers did an excellent job on both boards," Jankins said. "The team really wanted to go into our meet against Columbia this weekend with a 7-7 record, and that goal really helped us pull together to beat Northeastern."

On the diving board, Dartmouth swept both the three-meter and one-meter events. Kat Brady '10, Erica Serpico '12 and Kelly O'Callaghan '10 took the first, second and third spots, respectively, on the one-meter board. Brady edged out Serpico in the three-meter event with a score of 273.3 to Serpico's 269.55. O'Callaghan again placed third.

"At this point, our main focus is on the Ivy League Championships," Jankins said. "We will use the Columbia meet this weekend to fine tune our race strategies, but we are really looking forward to moving up in the conference at Ivies in a few weeks."

The Big Green hosts Ivy-rival Columbia this Saturday, Feb. 14, at 12 p.m. The Ivy League Championships begin Thursday, Feb. 26 in Long Island, N.Y.