Daily Debriefing

New findings by The Chronicle of Higher Education suggest that university specialists and top-level administrators often make more than the presidents of their universities, The New York Times reported Sunday. The Chronicle's annual compensation survey found that of the 88 private college employees with salaries over $1 million per year, only 11 were college presidents, The Times reported. Topping the list was University of Southern California head football coach Pete Carroll, who earned $4,415,714, almost four times the salary of U.S.C. President Steven Sample. Medical school administrators and professors were some of the best-paid employees, according to the report. The increase in pay for university presidents and administrators has raised concerns about the widening gap between the salaries of administrators and professors, according to The Times.

New information about the academic probation of George Washington University's medical school suggests that institution's problems are more serious than previously disclosed, according to The Washington Post. The medical school was put on probation last fall by an accrediting agency for what school representatives described as relatively minor issues, The Post reported. Newly available evaluation forms and interviews, however, contain student complaints of belittlement and humiliation, as well as charges of inadequate monitoring of student interaction with patients, according to The Post. The university is among only five schools in the past 15 years to have received probation for what the accrediting agency describes as actions that "seriously compromised the quality of the medical education program," The Post reported. Despite the controversy, applications to the medical school increased from last year, according to The Post.

Cornell University and Pennsylvania State University are the latest in a growing number of colleges and universities to end their contracts with clothing manufacturer Russell Athletic over concerns about the company's alleged treatment of unionized workers at a factory in Choloma, Honduras, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported Monday. Watchdog groups, including the Workers Rights Consortium, began investigating reports of managerial mistreatment of unionized workers following the plant's closure in October 2008, according to The Chronicle, and concluded in a November 2008 report that union members had been threatened by factory managers. Administrators at Duke University, Purdue University, Georgetown University and the University of Wisconsin at Madison also recently terminated their agreements with the company in response to the allegations, according to The Chronicle.