Boswell '06 assists the first lady's chief of staff

Joe Boswell '06 assists first lady Michelle Obama's chief of staff with her duties in his role as executive assistant.

"I quit my job, packed up my apartment, and drove out to Iowa with nothing but a dream," he said.

Boswell now serves as executive assistant to Jackie Norris, who is the chief of staff for first lady Michelle Obama.

"Helping the chief of staff stay organized and communicate with the first lady's staff is a big part of the job," Boswell said.

Boswell joined the Obama campaign as a field organizer for the Iowa caucus in summer 2007 because he "wanted something different" and was inspired by Obama's "message of change," he said.

He later returned to the state to register voters for the general election and began working with Norris, who was then the campaign's state director for Iowa.

After Obama won the Iowa caucus, Boswell organized volunteers in Texas and Arizona before being named a regional director for the Pennsylvania primary. He then became a regional field director in Ohio for the remainder of the campaign.

Following the election, Boswell reconnected with Norris, who offered him his current position.

Boswell praised the first lady's "passion and humanity," calling her "the people's first lady in the people's White House."

"This is clearly an important time in our history," Boswell said. "I'm honored to be a part of it."

At Dartmouth, Boswell majored in government, was a member of Theta Delta Chi fraternity and was co-captain of the rugby team. Boswell was "a father figure" who was "passionate and hard-working" and an "all around solid dude," current rugby co-captain Conlan O'Leary '09 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth.

"He took a big risk after he graduated by jumping into the young campaign, and it worked out for him with this big dividend," rugby teammate Lee Cooper '09 said in an e-mail.

A California native, Boswell said he is currently enjoying "having [his] dreams become reality" and acclimating to living in Washington, D.C.

"Change has come to Washington," he said. "I love the energy here. There are lots of people coming together to work toward a common cause, and plenty of young people who want to be part of something bigger than themselves."