Students celebrate Obama's victory

Students celebrate President-elect Barack Obama's Tuesday victory in an Office of Pluralism and Leadership event Sunday in Collis Common Ground.

Sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., led the crowd in the singing of "Lift Every Voice and Sing." Members of Soul Scribes, Vandana and the Native Women's Dancing Society also performed at the event, which included musical and dance performances, speeches and readings of personal writings and religious works.

The event was hosted by Joan Leslie '12 and Aaron Limonthas '12 and was introduced by Samantha Ivery, the assistant dean of student life for the Office of Pluralism and Leadership and advisor to black students.

The celebration included a slide-show with photos of Obama and his wife Michelle, Vice-Preisdent-elect Joe Biden and his wife Jill, and Dartmouth students celebrating the election of the country's first black president. Interspersed with the images were the words "Yes we can" written in different languages.

"On Tuesday, America demonstrated to the world the taste of justice," Associate Provost Stuart Lord said. "The celebration around the world is a testament to the fact that we are a global community."

Lord characterized this community as one united across divisions of race, gender and sexual orientation and between disabled and non-disabled people. He read positive reactions to Obama's election from sources ranging from Nelson Mandela to Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

"Morning has come to celebrate this day," Lord said. "It is the chance for a fresh start," he said, after reading.

Hafiz Shabazz, music lecturer, led two students in a traditional Guinean chant and drum performance. The traditional music is "used in difficult times when people need to come together to make things better," Shabazz said, adding, "the whole country must come together, because [Obama is] everyone's president."

The event gave the campus an opportunity to celebrate as a whole, instead of in small groups, Ivery said in an interview with The Dartmouth. Ivery noted that the OPAL-sponsored event was organized in less than a week and open to the entire campus community.

"The work isn't finished, we've only just begun," Ivery said. "Obama and Biden have made that sentiment and I agree: this is just the beginning."