World Leaders, Global Perspectives

In his article "'A' For Apathy," (Oct. 15) Jacob Batchelor '12 discusses the importance of political involvement and voter participation. He says, "We, as a generation, need to set the tone for our future in political involvement." He fails to see, however, that Americans are not alone in playing a vital part in the coming election -- the whole world is with you, including international students at Dartmouth.

The fact that my Swedish newspaper has an entire blog discussing the U.S. election and that several European newspapers -- such as British The Guardian, Spanish ABC and Swedish Dagens Nyheter -- have separate sections dedicated to the election in the United States, speaks to the unprecedented interest that the international community has shown in America's future. Barack Obama is praised for his efforts to promote change worldwide, and people come to the United States from abroad to canvass on his behalf.

Many international students at Dartmouth hail from countries directly affected by America's foreign policy in a post-Bush world. For these students, along with the rest of us, it is vital that this election results in change of failed foreign policies.

Linda Lingle, the Republican governor of Hawaii, came to Dartmouth earlier this month to discuss the election and America's political future with students ("Lingle, Sununu discuss politics with undergrads," Oct. 2). In the discussion, Lingle was asked about the United States' international reputation. She responded, "Other countries -- like France, the United Kingdom-- they should know better. We saved their very existence in World War II. Maybe they should be educating their young people about the greatness of America."

Regretfully, many American voters agree with Lingle, and fail to see that America's actions have also harmed the legitimacy of the international community. Supporters of Lingle ignore international pressure on the United States from governments and NGOs worldwide to respect international charters. They further dismiss the international community's critique in the most unconstructive manner by telling it to worship America. In response to Lingle's comment, I'd suggest that Americans educate their young people about the effect of U.S. politics on the rest of the world, rather than the uncontested greatness of America.

Many international students at Dartmouth experience the effects of the War on Terror firsthand, unlike most Americans. Ask any Arab or "Arab-looking" student at Dartmouth how it is to enter the United States before the beginning of each term. After traveling with some of my international friends to and from the United States, I have witnessed unacceptable discrimination against Arabs or minority travelers in security checks.

My Palestinian friend was rejected at the border because he supposedly lacked sufficient documents. His enrollment in college was delayed by a term despite his valid visa status. Rather than following Linda Lingle's advice to study the greatness of America, ask Americans to consider how their vote will affect his life if they allow a continuation of Bush's systematic discrimination with the advent of John McCain.

Naturally, only Americans will be eligible to vote in this election. Only by bearing in mind the well-being of all people affected by U.S. politics, however, will American voters elect a suitable president. I urge voters at Dartmouth to talk to international students and ask them how the United States, as a superpower, is seen abroad. I further encourage all international students to take the opportunity to spread awareness of this election's impact on the rest of the world by canvassing or partaking in discussions. As internationals residing in the United States, it is our responsibility to voice our concerns when talking to American voters and to make sure that our voices are heard.