Field-rushers and fire-touchers reflect on Homecoming

Dartmouth freshmen are traditionally taunted by upperclassmen to

What started in 1888 as an impromptu bonfire in the middle of the Green has grown into a mainstay of Dartmouth culture. As freshmen run 112 laps around the structure, upperclassmen will urge them to "touch the fire."

Last year, Duckles heeded their advice after deciding the previous summer that he would touch the fire. As he began lap 32, Duckles said he saw an opening where the fire had melted the caution tape. Running past the circle of other freshmen and a ring of police, he sprinted across the center of the bonfire and grazed the flames with his arm.

Duckles said he was almost immediately apprehended by the Hanover Police and was issued a citation for disorderly conduct. Duckles was also put on probation by the College.

While Duckles admitted that he was pretty shocked by the consequences, he would not necessarily discourage freshmen from attempting to touch the fire.

"Think about it first, and realize that you will get caught and get in trouble, regardless," he said. "The consequences will affect everyone differently but for me, personally, nothing that bad came of it."

Fellow member of the Class of 2011 Mat Grudzien shared his sentiments. Grudzien also touched the fire last year, but said that his decision was completely spontaneous. He said he was surprised by the severity of the consequences and wishes he had understood them better beforehand.

"As long as you are aware of the consequences, go for it," Grudzien said. "This is what college is about -- somehow you have to make it your personal experience."

Grudzien is a former member of The Dartmouth Staff.

Other less daring members of the class who still want to take part in Dartmouth tradition may opt for the College-endorsed halftime field rush during the Homecoming football game instead. During the rush Saturday afternoon, freshmen will form their class numerals on the field.

Sam Hopkins, associate athletic director for marketing and promotions, said he believes the field rush worked well last year, despite a mixed response from the student body.

"Tradition means a lot at Dartmouth," Hopkins said. "Any time you try to instate a new tradition, some embrace it, and some condemn it."

Rushing the field was popular for many decades before being officially banned in 1986.

At that point the tradition took on a violent and disruptive tone, according to Hopkins, and often led to the arrest of those involved. Hopkins added that when the tradition began decades ago, students would form their class numerals on the field and the College-sponsored event pays homage to that practice.

Hopkins estimates that between 200 and 300 students participated last year.

The only major change in this year's procedure, he said, is the elimination of a run-through during orientation, which was attended by fewer than 100 students last year. Crucial information will instead be disseminated through undergraduate advisors at floor meetings.

Grudzien expressed doubts about the school trying to facilitate a tradition that once symbolized challenging authority.

"Last year's rush was pretty lame and all the upperclassmen made fun of it," he said. "There are certain things the College should just leave to students."

A group of students, including Luke Cherrington '11, took it upon themselves last year to uphold the more rebellious version of the practice, rushing after the designated time.

Cherrington felt it was "important to maintain traditions at Dartmouth, regardless of the legal repercussions." Cherrington and his fellow rushers were not caught, and it is still widely unknown who the other rushers were, he added.

Another field-rusher, who wished to remain anonymous, said he was "worried about a well-known Dartmouth tradition dying. The whole point of the field rush is the risk of getting arrested, whereas the college-organized version was completely watered down and took no gall to partake in." He said he opposes the College "neutering a popular tradition."