Emmy winner Linney receives Dartmouth Film Award

Actress Laura Linney admitted to ignoring her critics in a question-and-answer session at Friday's tribute.

"A Tribute to Actress Laura Linney" began with a brief introduction by Bill Pence, director of film for the Hopkins Center of the Arts and co-founder of the Telluride Film Festival.

Pence praised the actress as a "multi-genre artist" who fills her characters with "subtlety and nuance." Afterwards, the audience enjoyed an hour-long tribute, which included short clips from some of Linney's best-known films. Many scenes showed Linney paired with elite male co-stars like Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne and Sean Penn, with whom she has worked on multiple occasions. "I didn't realize I kissed so many people," Linney later commented.

For audience members unfamiliar with Linney's work, the compilation served as a fitting sampler. The tribute opened with a memorable scene from "The Truman Show" (1998) that showcased Linney's comedic timing.

This scene and others from the past 10 years of Linney's critically acclaimed career highlighted her versatility, from her hauntingly dramatic turn in "Mystic River" (2003) to her role in the hilariously dysfunctional "The Savages" (2007).

At the conclusion of a scene from "John Adams," the actress stepped out onto the stage, joining Pence, who presented her with the award.

"The Dartmouth Film Society honors a gifted film artist who inhabits her characters with authenticity and brilliance," Pence read from the award. Linney graciously accepted the award, playfully comparing her certificate to "a diploma from the Wizard of Oz."

This sort of humor and connection with the audience prevailed over the next 45 minutes during Linney's on-stage interview with Dartmouth Film Society Director A.J. Fox '09.

Fox is a member of The Dartmouth Senior Staff.

During the interview, Linney commented on the impact that her actor father had on her decision to start acting, her transition from stage to screen and her reaction to criticism.

Perhaps the most apparent motif in Linney's responses was her receptiveness to advice. She was forced to develop a laid-back attitude when her agent thrust her into the world of film after years of performing on the New York City stage.

"My agent understood me far better than I understood myself," Linney explained. "I was intimidated by film, but he told me to try it one day at a time. I ended up really enjoying it. It was a big surprise."

Though Linney quickly found her niche in the film world, she makes an effort to return to the stage every few seasons.

"I'm really fortunate that I get to go back and forth between the two," Linney said.

She appeared most recently on stage in this summer's "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" on Broadway, a play that Linney called "technically challenging."

"It really kicked my ass," she said, referring to the exhaustion that comes with eight performances per week.

Linney spoke highly of several directors with whom she has collaborated, praising Clint Eastwood especially.

"Clint taught me the art of relaxation," Linney said. "He has a quiet demeanor. It's like working on a constant, calm simmer."

Linney kept the audience engaged with her responses, which Fox cited as essential to the success of the interview.

"It ran really smoothly," Fox said. "She is such a presence on stage and really knows how to interact with a crowd."

At the end of his interview, Fox opened up a brief question-and-answer session. Due to time constraints, only about five of the dozen or so students, faculty and community members who lined up at the floor microphones had the opportunity to ask Linney their questions.

Fortunately, however, many students interacted with Linney at other events on Friday. The actress held several sessions with film and theater students and met with others during a private reception at the Casque and Gauntlet house after the tribute.