Drive registers Dartmouth voters

Vote Clamantis, a non-partisan political organization, held a voter registration drive in Collis Common Ground on Wednesday.

"It was really easy to register here, and I'm glad I did because California is an overwhelmingly blue state -- my vote will count for more here," John Zeiter '12 said.

Guthrie said that the majority of the 643 students who attended Wednesday's event were freshmen students.

Vote Clamantis' biggest challenge in organizing the drive was effectively reaching out to voters staunchly aligned with a specific political party, according to Derek Summerville '11, a member of Vote Clamantis. Vote Clamantis invited many politically and socially diverse campus organizations to attend, such as the College Democrats, the College Republicans, Dartmouth Coalition for Progress, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Center for Women and Gender, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.

Each organization set up a table and distributed pamphlets and stickers.

"Our goal is making sure people are informed about Obama and his message," Joseph Dang '10, president of the Dartmouth College Democrats, said.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., who was on campus to give a speech in the Rockefeller Center, also appeared at the event.

"It would have been great to have a Republican counterpart [for Whitehouse], but we're here to register voters, not support a party," Guthrie said. "Hopefully the presence of a senator helps draw people in to register, regardless of their affiliation."

The College Republicans attended the event, advertising their support for Republican presidential candidate John McCain, and Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H., who is seeking re-election.

Other groups did not express support for specific candidates. According to NAACP's representatives, the group's objective was not only to educate people about voter registration, but to add to its membership and increase its presence on campus. The Dartmouth Council on Climate Change urged students to sign a pledge that encourages voters to consider environmental issues, health care and the war in Iraq when making their voting decision in the election, according to Katy Briggs '10, co-chair of DCCC.

"This year, students are really taking into account issues and what will be affecting them instead of identifying with party lines," Guthrie said.

The Center for Women and Gender attended the event to encourage participation among female voters.

"We are here to remind students how hard-fought and -won the women's vote was," Xenia Markowitt, director of CWG, said.

In order to register students in a nonpartisan manner, Vote Clamantis divided the room so that students entering the room could register behind curtains before meeting representatives from different organizations, Summerville said.

Vote Clamantis will hold another drive on Oct. 15 in Thayer Dining Hall's Tindle Lounge and students can also register on Nov. 4, the day of the election.

"The only way we can effect change is by letting our voice be heard and letting people know that we're here and active and not lazy college students," Guthrie said.