Daily Debriefing

The Vermont Agency of Transportation has allotted $350,000 in public transportation grants to develop bus routes along Route 103, Interstate 91 and Interstate 89, according to the Burlington Free Press. The grant will fund a new weekend shuttle service from Rutland, Vt., along Route 103 to serve Okemo Mountain Resort during the ski season, passing through Bellows Falls, Vt. and Springfield, Vt. Rural Community Transportation will begin a shuttle service on Interstate 91 between St. Johnsbury, Vt., White River Junction and Lebanon that will stop at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Stagecoach Transportation Services will add a third bus to their "I-89er" service between Randolph Center, Vt., Hanover, Lebanon and White River Junction, which will reduce the waiting time for the bus from one hour to 30 minutes, according to the Valley News. Many of the routes will include stops at "park-and-rides," where commuters can leave vehicles for a day and utilize public transportation, the Burlington Free Press reported.

The Educational Testing Service is now urging business schools and students to use the Graduate Record Examinations instead of the Graduate Management Admission Test, the standard test for business school applications, according to Inside Higher Ed. ETS, which administers the GRE, is promoting the test with a formal campaign, and has released a table comparing the ability for GRE and GMAT scores to predict a student's performance in business school. GRE scores are currently accepted by 125 business schools, an increase of 35 schools in the past year. Neither test focuses on finance, accounting or business strategy, and the GMAT costs applicants $110 more than the GRE. A comparison of students' GRE and GMAT scores reveal a clear correlation that admissions officers could use to equate the exams, David Payne, executive director of the GRE, told Inside Higher Ed. The Graduate Management Admissions Council, which administers the GMAT, disputes this claim.

Manhattan Media will cease publication of the magazine 02138, which reports on Harvard University and its alumni, due to poor advertising revenue, according to The New York Times. The magazine, named for the Cambridge, Mass., ZIP code, profiled successful Harvard alumni. Hopes to start a similar magazine for Yale alumni will likely be cancelled, The Yale Daily News reported. "It was a good idea at the wrong time," Tom Allon, president and chief executive of Manhattan Media, told The Times.