Actor Long rallies for Democratic candidates

Actor Justin Long speaks with students on campus about the importance of the student vote in this year's presidential election.

"I think it's your job to get the point across that the vote is vital," Long said at the meeting.

The country's current political and economic issues, and this year's strong Democratic ticket motivated Long to get involved, he said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

"What Barack Obama and [vice-presidential candidate Senator] Joe Biden represent is a necessary change," Long said. "I was tired of sitting back and wallowing in my political apathy. I was tired of not believing in this country."

In his talk with the College Democrats, Long encouraged volunteers to remind students that they can vote in New Hampshire -- which he said is an important battleground state -- because they are technically residents of the state.

Long was surprised by the number of students he talked to who were already registered in New Hampshire, he told The Dartmouth, though he also said some students remain uninterested in the election.

"A lot of them are more politically aware than I was 10 years ago," Long said. "Some are aggressively non-political. A lot of them are not at all concerned."

Long, who attended Vassar College, said he did not vote in 1996, the first year in which he was eligible, although he voted for Green Party candidate Ralph Nader in 2000 and Democratic candidate John Kerry in 2004.

"I know what it's like to be an apathetic college student," Long told The Dartmouth, but added that he was "very embarrassed" that he did not vote in 1996.

At Wednesday's meeting, Long said he had met a large number of international students while canvassing at Dartmouth.

"Just ignore them," he joked with the volunteers, as only U.S. citizens are eligible to vote.

Besides the popular Apple commercials, Long has starred in films such as "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story," "Accepted" and "Live Free or Die Hard." He will also appear in the upcoming film "Zack and Miri Make a Porno," which opens in theaters this month.

Long made another appearance at the College on Sunday, to support Obama alongside actors Kal Penn and Olivia Wilde, and Molly Shaheen, daughter of former New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen, the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senator from New Hampshire.

Long's visit to the College coincided with a voter registration drive organized by Vote Clamantis, a nonpartisan student group.